Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking on Himalayan Salt block

I got a Himalayan salt block for my birthday from my mother. The person she bought it from said there is no need to season the meat at all,but I put a very small amount of Raging River on it. I Cooked it on the salt then moved it to the grill to get a little char on it. When I was about to finish, I added same Monterey Jack. The chicken did have an interesting salty taste. My wife thought it was better than chicken I had cooked in the past. I wasn't too sure about putting the salt over direct heat @ almost 500 at one point , but it did fine. Next....a steak with no seasoning at all!
Maumelle, Arkansas

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Nicely done. Salt blocks are fun. Mine broke and need another one. Thanks for the reminder.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    I love cooking scallops, steak, etc. on mine. It is fun to use and guests love it. I had mine for 2 years and it is still going strong after a lot of uses. Well worth the $30 I paid for it.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
     I have an 8"x8"x2" that lives to cook on my small.  I would go for the cheeper model and make sure they will stand behind it if it eggsplodes within a month or so.  That has happened here once I know of and it was immediately replaced.  Probably some water in it.
    I place on my small direct and bring it up to temp with the egg 450-500F.  Used to let cool and wash in sink when I first got it a few years ago, now I just wipe with a wet paper towel when still warm, let it cool, rub with a wire brush when cool and the next time I cook the top becomes the bottom.  Also I store it in the house as the humidity here in Florida will slowly dissolve the block.  If it ever breaks I plan or grinding the pieces for table salt.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Cool. I didn't know so many people had them. @chubbs did your ls break from heat or dropping? @chrisnjenn I like the scallop idea....no seasoning? @Richard Fl I thought the same thing about grinding it if it broke. I used it for the first time last night and scraped the burnt crust off with a knife that may not be such a good idea!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited April 2013
    Randy, I don't season them at all. I sear them on both sides and the salt block seasons them. They are delicious and our preferred way to eat scallops. Thin strips of steak are also awesome on the salt block. If you have guests over, it is a great conservation piece and they will enjoy eating off of it. Most have never experienced it before.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Randy1 , not really sure how mine broke actually. It was under my kitchen counter in a cabinet for months. Pulled it out and it was in 3 large pieces. I bet it got put in sink while still hot and it cracked. 

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Randy1
    edited April 2013
    @chrisnjenn I am going to try some scallops. Hmmm, you don't cook a whole steak....just strips..interesting.@chubbs that's a bummer. I was just wondering if it was heat because I am still a little apprehensive about putting all that heat to it.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited April 2013
    I place my cold block of the small after I have the fire going, but still not to temp 450-500 let the block get hot as the egg temp rises. 

I try not to use them until after a few days of cleaning so as to let any trapped moisture evaporate thus avoiding a blow up. Let cool down with egg and deal with it the next day.  PS it does not like dishwashers.
  • Randy1
    @Richard Fl great information, thank you! I will probably use a cloth next time because I think I scraped a lot if salt off the top with the knife. It even put a line in it.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I slice up a tri tip in about 1/4" slices and then marinate in an asian BBQ sauce and then sear it for 30 seconds or so on each side. Comes out great but make sure you are using pam or oil on the block or you will end up with a mess.
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Where is the best place to buy a Salt Block????
    My parents were traveling on the East side of the Himalayans (Bhutan, Myanmar) and asked everywhere, but did not know anything about Salt blocks, go figure!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I got mine from Sur La Table for like $30 and its big. I had to chip the corners off so it would fit in my small.
  • Randy1
    @Lit I have been wanting to try a tri-tip. @Flyingtivo mine was purchased locally but they are for sale on Amazon.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • I have never heard of such a thing, see you learn something everyday. Thank for sharing,  how cool is that.
  • Randy1
    @chris123stock I hadn't heard of it until my birthday!
    Maumelle, Arkansas