Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back in the saddle - 2 butts

Options
After an extended BGE hiatus, I did 2 5lb Costco butts yesterday.  Was great to get her fired up again.  I used a combination of Oakridge Competition and standard pork butt rubs.   I know, probably a violation of some rule, some where to combine rubs...  Meat went on at 9:15, though egg was still warming up, grill was about 170.  They finally came off around 9:00 PM, nearly 12 hours.  IT was 203, and the grill held pretty steady at 235-240.  They went through a 3 hour stall.  Overall, I was expecting about 9-10 hours, not 12.  Was extra time due to cooking two butts, not one?  Sorry, no pics - trust me - it happened.  Both turned out great!
XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I know, probably a violation of some rule, some where to combine rubs.

Innovators always violate rules...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Your run time is right in the ball-park for the butts, given grid temp,my experience and a recent cook.  Number of butts makes no difference as long as there is an air gap between them.  Piggies have their own expectations :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.