Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tenderloin - technique

I'm doing my first pork tenderloin for supper tonight. 

Direct, raised direct, or indirect?

I find various methods mentioned around the net - just wondering what's best on the Egg. I'm leaning toward a direct, searing it, lowering temp and let it "roast" to 150 or so internal. What say you?

Thanks

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2013

As you stated, there are many ways of doing it and all can be great.  My latest enconter with this type of cut was one inch thick sliced loin --  and i brined (six hours) it as directed by someone here:

1/4 cup salt

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup  of rub

to one quart of water

Wipe off the brine, course pepper and kosher salt

I cooked direct at gasket level at 350 degrees to an internal of 140 degrees.

It was like eating a steak, best grilled chop i have ever had...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Another vote for raised grid, direct to 140*F turn once or twice-takes around 20-30 mins. YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Butterfly it, flatten it out, put some artichokes, spinach and provolone in it. Tie with butcher strong
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Raised grid direct to 140 is my method as well. I usually use some Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust and on occasion some Hot Bone Suckin Sauce at the end of the cook. Always an easy and very good cook.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Raised direct it is then. Thanks for your help everyone.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @twlangan - I am doing a pork tenderloin today as well.  Another technique, one it gets to 120 or so (and there is a slight bark on it, there is not enough time for a good bark with something as thin as a tenderloin) I foil to keep the juices in and ensure doneness.  It you foil inside a pan you can even use the drippings, combine with a rue and you have some awesome smoked pork gravy for potatoes or rice.  
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Just happen to have a pork tenderloin in the fridge with instructions to cook it tonight.  Thanks for making my job easy!  It is sliced into nice 1" steaks and brining in Charlie Tuna's recipe.  Egg is ready to fire.  Might need to cut the brine short, I like where it is heading!

Thanks,

Dave
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    I see everyone suggesting "raised" grid, eg @henapple and @eggracer (above). I would have just put it on the normal grid.  Now, I have an extender and can cook raised.  If cooking direct, what is the real difference in cooking raised?  How do I decide when to cook raised?
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2013
    You have to consider getting a nice outside sear , not too much and at the same time reaching the internal temperature you are shooting for, for your particular type of meat or poultry.  If you get good grill marks but overcook the product -- you got dry food!  And at the same time, you can have perfect frill marks with the inside raw ??? 
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Ok, I marinated the tenderloins for several hours in a mix of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic. Cooked them raised direct at about 400 deg. I turned them about every 5 min or so. Pulled them at 150. My wife cannot and WILL not tolerate any pink in ANY meat - poor lass that she is!  ;)  I wrapped and placed in a cooler after they were done since I also did some grilled sweet p'taters that went on after the pork was off. They turned out - "ok".

Pork was great. Juicy, tender, and very tasty. I also tried the blackberry sauce that has been mentioned on here recently. That stuff is VERY good too. Only thing I would change would be to figure out a way to thicken it a bit since it is rather thin and runs around on the plate.

I will most definitely be doing this again. I might decide to try a direct, not raised once to see how that would go. This cook took 30 min on the head but I bet I could get them cooked quicker if the grid was not raised. Might cut the temp back to 350 if I decide to do that.

BTW - I did two 1 lb tenderloins. The recipe for the blackberry sauce could be cut in half for this much meat. I had a lot of it left over.

Thanks again everyone for the advice!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Beaumonty said:
    I see everyone suggesting "raised" grid, eg @henapple and @eggracer (above). I would have just put it on the normal grid.  Now, I have an extender and can cook raised.  If cooking direct, what is the real difference in cooking raised?  How do I decide when to cook raised?
    Other than searing steaks, I do all of my direct cooks on a "raised" grid.  For one thing it is much easier to handle the food at the grid level, also it is a distance from the coals that is a little more forgiving than having the food so close to the coals.

Try it, you will like it.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    For me, cooking on the firering is just a pain getting to my food. Raise it up to the felt line and it is much easier to handle and you don't have to worry about flare ups if cooking something greasy like multiple burgers.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I did one yesterday at 300-350 raised indirect (I forgot how I cooked it last time).  Came out good.  next time I am stuffing the sucker.

Garnerville, NY