Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs(Ideas ??)

dougbacker
dougbacker Posts: 277
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Going to do a bunch of Country Style Ribs for company on Saturday.
Thought I would run 250 dome to an internal of 130
then slather em with BBQ sauce and run em to 155
Anyone got any other suggestions?  

--------------------------------------------------------
South Dakota
KBØQBT
Large BGE, 
Mini BGE
36" Blackstone Griddle
Phoenix Gasser
Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Here's what I have done for several years and everyone loves them. First season and sear them over direct coals until well browned on all sides. Now put your plate setter in an cool the egg to 325*. Put the ribs in a Dutch oven and cook for one hour. Remove the ribs, pour off the fat and cool the egg to 275*. Now place a bed of sour kraut in the Dutch oven and place the ribs on top. Cook for two more hours and cover them in your favorite sauce the last hour. The kraut keeps them moist, but imparts no flavor to the meat. If people don't like kraut, fine.......but it is wonderful with the pork fat and BBQ sauce mixed in!

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    Meant to add that country style ribs aren't ribs at all, they are just cuts of pork shoulder. They need a braise to get them tender. You cook them to 155 and they will be a doggy chew toy.

Omaha, NE
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Here is one of our favorite fest cooks using country ribs. Never have any leftovers
    8lb of boneless country ribs 2 large sweet onions roasted 116 oz of jar of your favorite bottled BBQ sauce (I used I jar Bone Suckin regular and 1 of the hot) 2 bottles either Shiner Bock or good Stout Spices Equal amts of garlic powder, onion powder, Aw **** and Dizzy Evenly mix spices into the ribs and let sit at RT while egg comes to temp of 450. Place meat on egg and brown on all sides. While egg is cooling down place, placed sliced onions, and meat in a 9x12 roasting pan. Pour the sauces and the beer over the meat, seal tightly with HDAF. Set egg up for indirect cooking. Place roasting pan in the egg and roast for two hours. Test for fork tenderness after two hours. When fork tender, remove pan from egg set the egg up for direct cook. Remove meat from sauce place on egg for about 15 minute. Served with garlic bread and roasted cherry tomatoes.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BOWHUNR
    Yep Austin, they need that braise. Like your method.

Omaha, NE
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I agree browning first then brazing is the way to go.  Cooking to 155 ish will be as BOWHUNR said doggy toy.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • If you put the sauce on to early you have a tendency to burn I usually put it on about 15 minutes ahead of time before pulling

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I love the "country style" with saurekraute , cabbage,onions and carrots, but it doesn't work well with a large group.  The above brase, then slow cook in a dutch oven is a winner, and nicely served with a large group of people.