Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heard of this lump?

Options
Sams sells it for $11 a 20lb bag. Ever try it?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    EggheadinFlorida - which Sam's did you find it at? I have never seen it before, but I am searching for a replacement lump vendor.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Best of the West?  Sam's sells it in a number of stores in Central Florida.  I burns well, and has some spectacular sparking.  Really huge pieces that need breaking up.  Being all mesquite does not impart a significant flavor.  My results with it were fine.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I found it at my Sam's Club in Gainesville.  I did not like it, ended up throwing half a bag in the garbage!  I am (mainly) an RO user.  When it first hit my store i was happy because the price was less that my RO.  The first time i used it, i found it mainly made from tree limbs, and some as large as six inches in diameter!!  The first burn was full of sparks fr at least half the cook.  Then when i re-loaded for my next cook, there was this same six inch diameter "log" that did not burn in the first cook???  After this i checked and after the second burn, this "log" still remained untouched by the seconf cook --- like it was made from "stone"???  At that point, i threw the balance of the bag in the garbage.  It doesn't look like they are selling much of it, and i can understand why.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it's $14 for 40 lbs here (guess we are much closer to Mexico). I've gone through tons of it. Crazy sparky and ashy but it burns fine once it gets going. It's good if you are looking for a deal. One bag can be all logs and another can have a lot of dust. i would say overall, it's a good deal with some flaws. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    Charlie Tuna - have you ever purchased from Southern Fuel Wood in Newberry? We use to get Nature Glo (RO in a Commercial grade/different bag) for $25 for 40 lb bag. I guess he had a price increase and does not carry it anymore. Now he has another brand called "Hardwood" lump that is very, very sparky and burns very hot. I am returning 6 unopened bags of it the next time that I get down that way. 
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Terrible review on Nakedwhiz.....check it out. The Walmart here in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida now has it.By the way, just bought RO there and the bag had much bigger pieces than I had seen before!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I get 40 lbs for $14 like centex. It's hard to beat at that price.

For what you are paying, I can get far superior lump so I would pass.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Its Mesquite, Mesquite is a cheap.  You get what you pay for in fuels. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Justacookin
    Justacookin Posts: 291
    Options
    RO is on sale at menards 4.99 a bag 8.8 LBS buy four bags 2.00 of for first four bags. Then you can buy all you want. The guy when i bought my egg said there bge brand is RO but they get the first run sounds like (BS) to me. I bought 4 bags on sale came home opened 1 up and they are all very nice size pieces put in egg burned great.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Charlie Tuna - have you ever purchased from Southern Fuel Wood in Newberry? We use to get Nature Glo (RO in a Commercial grade/different bag) for $25 for 40 lb bag. I guess he had a price increase and does not carry it anymore. Now he has another brand called "Hardwood" lump that is very, very sparky and burns very hot. I am returning 6 unopened bags of it the next time that I get down that way. 

I would drive to Gainesville if the price was right.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options

Its Mesquite, Mesquite is a cheap.  You get what you pay for in fuels. IMO

I was impressed with Nature's Mesquite and I was very impressed with the guy running it.  You can find good quality mesquite charcoal.  Best of the West though seems to be working under the philosopy "there's a pile of mesquite stuff, I think I'll toss it in a bag and sell it."

The Naked Whiz
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I finally opened the bag last night. I must say I was impressed with the size of the lump. It was a lot bigger than any RO or cowboy I have gotten. Maybe I got lucky? I'll buy a few more bags and see how it works out for me.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Sigh, people still think that size is everything, lol.....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Never heard of Southern Fuel Wood, but i might know where they are located along S.R. 26 ?  Thanks for the tip, i will check it out!!
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 80
    Options
    I have used Best of the West for years. I prefer it for pizza where the temperature is high and the cook is short. It seems to give the pizza a smoky taste within the few minutes of the cook. For longer cooks, I use Royal Oak.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    I just called Southern Fuel Wood in Newberry and they charge $25 for 40lbs
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Well, I got to the bottom of the bag. I had 8 pieces of lump that were a little bigger than a softball, and between 4-8" in length. WOW, no wonder I cant get my egg going this morning...