Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't believe I just talked myself into another maverick

Maybe the third time is a charm. I just want it for the overnights.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've for two. No problems yet. One is a year old, other is 4 months.

XLBGE 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I've been through two in as many years. If this croaks before July it'll be 3.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Wires or control?

XLBGE 
  • TonyA
    Well with wires at 25 each and controllers at 55. I just lift the controllers. But it's the wires
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    I used to kill probes all the time. The big things to remember are:
    1) don't get the end where the wire enters the probe wet (my biggest problem especially when family helps to clean up and they put it in a tray of water to soak.)
    2) route the wires over a plate setter leg. try and avoid exposure to direct flame. 
    3) be gentle with them. Yep, the probe is hot, but don't pull from the wire. 

I don't know if it helps, but so far it hasn't hurt: I wrap the wires in foil.

HTH
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • TonyA
    Major offender of #1. I blew both once with the steam from calibrating temp
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've done all of that to no avail. Once the pos goes out in taking it to the range.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyA
    I hadn't thought of that. I have a few.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:
    I've done all of that to no avail. Once the pos goes out in taking it to the range.
    I'll send you mine @henapple

That way you can have more for target practice. In fact, I'll bring it to you and will launch the "clay pigeons" for you.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Here is my posting from a week ago or so on the subject of the probes. Just one thing, when i refer to RTV silicone I mean the Food Grade version.

Before I used my ET-732 the first time, I sealed the probes where they are connected to the wires with High Temp RTV Silicone.  Got it at at auto parts store.  The sealant is red in color but will turn dark after use. Have used the probes on all low and slow and turbo smoking cooks for over a year now. The idea is to not allow any moisture from within the meat/and or Egg to enter the area where the wire connects to the probe. 

Do not know if this will be a long term solution but, so far, so good.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Springram said:
    Here is my posting from a week ago or so on the subject of the probes. Just one thing, when i refer to RTV silicone I mean the Food Grade version.

Before I used my ET-732 the first time, I sealed the probes where they are connected to the wires with High Temp RTV Silicone.  Got it at at auto parts store.  The sealant is red in color but will turn dark after use. Have used the probes on all low and slow and turbo smoking cooks for over a year now. The idea is to not allow any moisture from within the meat/and or Egg to enter the area where the wire connects to the probe. 

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.  I just bought a Maverick and was bummed by all the complications folks have experienced through the years.  I did one cook with it but I'm going to seal it. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    You do have to take care of the probes a bit, but its not like you have to treat it with kid gloves IMO. The part where the wire attaches to the probe is the most vulnerable, so that's what you have to protect. I don't mess with SWMBO's gear and she doesn't mess with mine, so that we don't destroy/damage each others toys and p!ss the other off in the process :) 

As mentioned above, be careful about submerging the probes completely, and don't pull on the wire. 

I have had my et-7 for 6-7 years and my et-73 for 3-4 years now and they work great without any complaints. I use the et-73 most of the time, almost every weekend.  Still using the probes they came with. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I went thru two of them, plus an additional set of probes after a set of warrenteed probes!!  Figured, they were too touchy for me to use.  Now, if i want to monitor anything, i use my DigiQ, no problems.. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    caliking said:

You do have to take care of the probes a bit, but its not like you have to treat it with kid gloves IMO. The part where the wire attaches to the probe is the most vulnerable, so that's what you have to protect. I don't mess with SWMBO's gear and she doesn't mess with mine, so that we don't destroy/damage each others toys and p!ss the other off in the process :) 

As mentioned above, be careful about submerging the probes completely, and don't pull on the wire. 

I have had my et-7 for 6-7 years and my et-73 for 3-4 years now and they work great without any complaints. I use the et-73 most of the time, almost every weekend.  Still using the probes they came with. 
    Well I hate you then... X_X
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I bought the Thermoworks dual probe monitor.  The K-type probes are almost bulletproof.  A bit pricey out of the gate, but you get what you pay for.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    jerryp said:
    I bought the Thermoworks dual probe monitor.  The K-type probes are almost bulletproof.  A bit pricey out of the gate, but you get what you pay for.
    i agree BUT...the remote feature of the Maverick is one of it's top benefits. If Thermoworks comes out with a monitor that has a remote feature, I will hope to be first in line.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini
  • TonyA
    I like the thermoworks. I've directed people here to it before. My problem is my egg is about 100 feet from my house and I've got two boys under 3. I don't have time to run out and look.