Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DWELL IN THE SHELL QUESTION

I attempted the "dwell in the shell" for two lobster tails today.  I thought they turned out pretty great, but my wife's only critique was that the lobster could be a tad less smoking.  If you do a true dwell, you shut off all the vents.  I thought that normally adds a bad smoke flavor.  Has anyone tried just finishing the cook for the last five minutes with the vents open?

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2013
    I have never shut down all vents and cooked anything. Maybe the bottom and have the petals open on the daisy wheel but never both in fear of a smokey flavor that is unwanted. Maybe try bottom vent closed and petals open?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Did you add smoking wood or is she talking about just the lump? What brand of lump are you using?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Lobster is one thing I won't cook on the egg anymore. Ive tried the Dwell in Shell and my results were just like yours. Tried a straight cook and the meat got rubbery. Steam it!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Rip out that delicious meat and sear it! Butter, Garlic, and a squeeze of lemon and you are GTG.

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Lobster is one thing I won't cook on the egg anymore. Ive tried the Dwell in Shell and my results were just like yours. Tried a straight cook and the meat got rubbery. Steam it!
    Being from the Gulf coast, I don't know squat about lobster.  But, I do know that if your shrimp tastes rubbery, you've overcooked it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    were you using southern bug tails or real lobster, the southern bugs work ok (i would just grill and not dwell it ) but i wouldnt do that recipe with a real lobster.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I cook lobster about ever other month. I never close my vents. I do have it in foil the whole time. It comes out great everytime. Wife and I both love it.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Being from the Gulf coast, I don't know squat about lobster.  But, I do know that if your shrimp tastes rubbery, you've overcooked it.
    by the time the tail is cooked the claws and legs are overcooked and rubbery and this seems to be worse grilling them than steaming them. if its a big lobster it shows up even steaming them so you break the claws off half way thru the cook. meat soaks up smoke faster than pretty much any other meat. those souther bugs (i cant call them lobsters) do work fairly well on an egg just grilled
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ORTHODAWG
    ORTHODAWG Posts: 18
    I was using royal oak lump.  I did have some cherry chunks but waited until smoke was completely clear before starting the cook.   The texture was great, the flavor was good, but a tad less smoke and it would be perfect.  I think I will try what chubbs suggested and just shut the bottom vent.  Or I may just continue to cook with vents at same level and see how it turns out.  Thanks for the input.