Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I give up on Short Ribs

Options
I tried for the third time today to smoke beef short ribs and have finally decided it is something I just can't smoke. 

I finally got the flavor of the rub right only for them to turn out to tough. Smoked to ~190 so I don't know what else to do. 

Thanks for letting me whine!

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    FWIW, I've had beef roasts go to 210 before it got tender.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    jbenny said:
    I tried for the third time today to smoke beef short ribs and have finally decided it is something I just can't smoke. 

I finally got the flavor of the rub right only for them to turn out to tough. Smoked to ~190 so I don't know what else to do. 

Thanks for letting me whine!
    I've never had much luck just smoking short ribs. They only seem to work for me when I cook them in liquid or wrap in foil near the end.  They are from the chuck section and are natually tough.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    tazcrash said:

FWIW, I've had beef roasts go to 210 before it got tender.

+1. I mainly do BB because of this

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Ever wondered why pork ribs are more popular than beef ribs....by a margin of 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1?

:<)

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Short ribs need a little smoke and a lot of the bubble bubble simmer pop of a good braise.  But that's just me.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Im with mike.Braised is where its at with those.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    jbenny said:

How long did they cook? I think you need more time on the smoker

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @crimsongator... Isn't that like government intelligence?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Braise here. Come out great. I sear mine on the BGE first and then braise in a Dutch Oven on the Egg. You do get some smoke flavor that way.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Options
    @tazcrash has it right.  I had my 3rd try at chuck roast this weekend and finally had the patience to take it to 210 (hard for a New Yorker).  Perfect.  I followed the Clay's Pit BBQ technique on the dizzy pig website, which is basically a five hour smoke followed by a two hour braise in DO, followed by sauce and another hour of smoke.  Will try Ropa Vieja style next time...
    Mamaroneck
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Smoke 'em for a bit and then braise them. So tender and juicy that way.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Federalist226
    Options
    I've had excellent luck smoking beef short ribs. I just put on the egg at 325* and smoke until 200+ degrees and tender. Not tough at all. Maybe I've just been lucky.
  • jbenny
    jbenny Posts: 147
    Options
    I'll give them one more shot and smoke to 200+ or until tender.  I had figured 6 hours and 190 was enough to be tender
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    jbenny said:
    I'll give them one more shot and smoke to 200+ or until tender.  I had figured 6 hours and 190 was enough to be tender
    Sounds like a plan. Good luck.