Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why the late injection?

I'm confused! I am seeing a trend, folks waiting to inject until the meat is at 165 to 170. What is the point? By that time the meat can not evenly distribute the flavor that you are trying to put into the meat. The mescle fiber has already firmed up to the point that it won't let the injection flow evenly throught it, and it leaves marks at the injecton sites.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I'm pretty sure @fishlessman does that. As I recall it's more for flavouring than moisturizing. Hopefully he'll see this.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Actually I think the injection is distributed much more widely in cooked meat that in raw meat. It is a great way to add flavor late in the cook.
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i do it with a vinegar sauce sometimes. it gives it a vinegar tang and with the late injection it actually takes more in than when injecting cold. its not something i see posted about too often with pork butts, but it is done often with whole hog cooks
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    I can see it with pork, but this seems to be something folks are doing with brisket. There isn't enough fat to carry the injection through the meat, and it will leave marks at the injection sites.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have had issues when I injected with apple cider vinegar at the beginning of the cook it breaks the meat down too much and made it mushy.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I've done it on a brisket flat before and was following the recipe, it turned out great so I did it again. Now that I have a foodsaver I can justify doing a whole packer and inject before.

So I don't have a reason other than it worked the first time and I stuck with it when doing flats, never had one turn out bad or dry.. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I figure by the time you get it off the grill and slice it up there won't be any marks where you inject it.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen