Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The Baking Steel" Group Buy

Comments

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Hey guys, talked to Andris today. Looks like he opened up the code for one more day (today Monday 4/22/13) so if you missed out it looks like you can still order.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Was Andris happy with the amount of orders he received?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/40939/Scottborasjr">Scottborasjr</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>Was Andris happy with the amount of orders he received?<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <P><BR>Between us and the Modernist Cuisine edition steel released I'm sure he is laughing all the way to the bank.</P>
    <P>Anyone spring for the 1/2"?</P>
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Andris is all about service.  I ordered, then changed my mind about size.  Sent him an email asking to change and he replied on Sat morning saying that my order was changed.

FYI, I have the original 14x18 Baking Steel and it is awesome.
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140

I can’t wait to get mine.  I’m watching triple D on Food Network and Guy is featuring a pizza joint.  They have a huge wood-fired oven.  I bet the BGE and Baking Steal combo would give it a run for its money.  ;)

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I ordered a second one...14" cause I wasn't sure. We have plate steel laying all over the place and means to cut it round, but damn, they look pretty

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• i can't wait till our 16" comes. my in-laws have always loved my pizza and request it often, so this next step in pizza land im sure will blow their minds. 
  • Focker
    edited April 2013
    RV10Flyer said:

I can’t wait to get mine.  I’m watching triple D on Food Network and Guy is featuring a pizza joint.  They have a huge wood-fired oven.  I bet the BGE and Baking Steal combo would give it a run for its money.  ;)

Yes, it will.  The other day it helped me create the best thing that has ever come off my egg.  It was a simple Margherita, finished with a swirl of good olive oil and microplaned authentic parm.....unbelievable.

I ordered a second one...14" cause I wasn't sure. We have plate steel laying all over the place and means to cut it round, but damn, they look pretty
    I could have found some steel without the means of cutting.  Feel better having something I know, for sure, is the right steel and ready to go "out of the box".  Season it properly, and it gets real pretty.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    @Focker - can you post a link or repost your pizza routine... dough recipe, sauce, egg set up.  I'm particularly interested in your dough recipe :D so I can elevate my pizza.  Last summer was my first with the egg and got good pizza results, but know there is another level.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Money is tight right now and I figured I would let you guys be the guinea pigs. But this offer extension might just get me to buy one lol. I must resist!
    Quebec - Canada
  • Focker
    edited April 2013

@BigWader,

Dough recipe for current setup and high temps is Kenji's Neopolitan dough. Neopolitan is the simplest of doughs, leaving out the oil and sugar, which tend to burn easier at high temps. 

I pull the dough out of the fridge after at least two days on the morning of cook, let rest at room temp all day. This helps with the rise in the absence of sugar.  This dough is super easy to work with at room temp.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Setup is pictured below, sometimes I leave out the copper tees, they are not necessary.  16" carbon steel wok on an inverted spider filled with 8lbs of sand, enough to cover the bottom of the wok.  Original OEM grid goes over wok perfectly, then place your steel on grid.  Full, fresh lump, wide open egg, screen included(I'm on a concrete slab).  As soon as lump peaks, launch pie.  Wear safety glasses and welding glove on hand burping and lifting dome, launch with dominant hand.  IR of steel is 400-450, dome temp is at least 700 and rising fast.  Cook times will vary depending on toppings.  4-5 minutes total.  Spin pie 180 degrees two minutes in.

Sauce is simple.  One can crushed San Marzano tomatoes, a few roasted and minced cloves of garlic, pinch of white sugar, salt and pepper to taste.  Quick run in the Vitamix on low to the preferred consistency.  Transfer to a saucepan and simmer until desired thickness, usually it's 30 min or so.

Best thing to do is eggsperiment!  You should have seen some of my first amoebas.

Not the only method, but the best one I have found so far on this steel journey.  

THIS IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.   

BE SAFE.

(Nothing wrong with using Kenji's NY style dough recipe with this setup conservatively at 600 degree dome temp or 500 degrees top rack in the oven to start out with getting used to how steel works.  That's what I did.)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fletcherfam
    Yes Andris was very excited and thankful for all of the orders. We talked a bit about how he can make the product more approachable to us egg heads, particularly separating the price based on egg size. He was very open to that.
  • Can I still order as long as it is before midnight eastern time?
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Can I still order as long as it is before midnight eastern time?

I just tried to order. Too little too late I guess. :(
  • fletcherfam
    @firemedic183, email Andris I bet he will hook you up
  • @firemedic183, email Andris I bet he will hook you up

I looked for an email address, but did not find one. Internet is running slow at the fire station tonight. I wonder if that has something to do with it...
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    You might try (http://bakingsteel.com/contact-us/) or andris at stoughtonsteel dot com
    @firemedic183, email Andris I bet he will hook you up

I looked for an email address, but did not find one. Internet is running slow at the fire station tonight. I wonder if that has something to do with it...
    You might try (http://bakingsteel.com/contact-us/) or andris at stoughtonsteel dot com

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• Thank you!!
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    I ordered mine just in time. Thanks to everyone for setting this up. Like all egg cooking I know that much of this is trial and error. I have had my egg for 10 years but have only made 2 pizzas. Neither were very good and I sort of gave up. I made thousands of hand tossed dominos pizzas during my college years so I owe it to myself to give this another shot . That said I am puzzled as to why a direct fire or reverse spider at approx 500 will not work. If it is an air flow issue what about either of those set ups with copper t. Focker, have you tried these methods with the steel and had poor results? I guess I am trying to avoid the wok and sand set up if at all possible.
  • Focker

In trials, the steel has to be shielded.  You will torch the bottom.  For example, when used  as a griddle, raised direct on a AR dome temp of 400 will get the steel IR in the 500s, 530 if I recall. 

For searing, I have no desire to drop it down to standard setup.  Even for CI, I try to keep it as far away from the fire as possible.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Little Steven
    Big Ragu said:
    I ordered mine just in time. Thanks to everyone for setting this up. Like all egg cooking I know that much of this is trial and error. I have had my egg for 10 years but have only made 2 pizzas. Neither were very good and I sort of gave up. I made thousands of hand tossed dominos pizzas during my college years so I owe it to myself to give this another shot . That said I am puzzled as to why a direct fire or reverse spider at approx 500 will not work. If it is an air flow issue what about either of those set ups with copper t. Focker, have you tried these methods with the steel and had poor results? I guess I am trying to avoid the wok and sand set up if at all possible.
    The copper tees are just to keep a small air barrier between the stone and the indirect piece/platesetter. I find that if you have too much space (like platesetter legs up) you still get the stone hotter than the ambient temp of the egg. I haven't got my steel yet but have used cast iron and the same holds true.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Focker
    edited April 2013
    To avoid the wok and sand setup, I've done the classic inverted platesetter, copper tees, steel setup.  There are three locations above the platesetter that are unprotected.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Big Ragu

So I take it direct heat even at milder temps will create too hot of a surface?  Seems like inverted plate setter with grid may be a happy medium.  Have you tried that?

• Focker
    edited April 2013

Maybe not at 250? hahaha

Do you mean standard platesetter legs up with grid?  No, haven't tried that setup.  If you really mean inverted with grid, then no as well.

The heat will wrap around a larger air gap and blast the bottom of the steel.  My first failure was using split firebricks on their side and jacking the steel as high up into the dome as I possibly could. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Little Steven
    That setup works if you put the bricks on the fire ring and set the platesetter legs on them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Big Ragu
    I will plan on making a few batches of dough for my trials. Worst case I grab a wok. Found a few under $20 on website you mentioned.
  • Big Ragu
    Received an email that order was complete. Hoping that means shipping soon. Has anyone received notice that product has shipped?
  • Little Steven
    They called me cause I intitially spelled my street name wrong. I asked the lady if they were round and she said no. I haven't heard back yet

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    They called me cause I intitially spelled my street name wrong. I asked the lady if they were round and she said no. I haven't heard back yet
    Uh oh?

I put my order for "16 inch round" in the order info section. Isn't that what we were supposed to do?

EDIT: I meant to say "ordered the regular steel and..."
  • Focker
    Good catch, that would've been a disaster.  Keep us updated.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities