Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Que Grate

So I finally broke down and installed one of the High Que grates in the green egg.

I have read everything about them on this forum.  So I fired up the electric lighter and waited.  At the start, did not seem to make a difference, then ..  it started to warm up very quickly.  I had to slow things down as I was doing a 250 deg cook.  Then trying to speed things up due to lack of time, I opened the vents some more.  Then it started to heat up quickly again.  The fire becomes quite hot quickly.

So, in summary this thing works great.  It does exactly what is advertised.  My word of caution is that if you do buy one, keep an eye on your temperatures and the fire.  Things change much quicker than you are use to.

Overall an excellent product and wish I had bought this as one of my accessories.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I experienced the same thing Don. Awesome once you get used to it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • What size egg that you felt you needed it?
    Gittin' there...
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    I have mine on a large, before I had it I tried with the grate from a small weber smokey Joe. (warped the daylights out of it). 
    Love the product, worth every cent IMHO. Lets me low & slow without the work of clogs, and I can get it up to searing temp very quick. 

When I get my small, or mini, that will be one of the first accessories bought.  

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I can see how it would greatly increase the air reaction time to the operation of any egg, but i am used to the factory equipment now! :(
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Made a huge difference for me, particularly on the mini. I needed to do a complete clean after virtually every cook if I hoped to get the mini up to a high temp. No more. I consider it essential equipment. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    I can see how it would greatly increase the air reaction time to the operation of any egg, but i am used to the factory equipment now! :(
    FWIW, very quick learning curve. There is another benefit: It makes you learn to pour your beverages faster.  

:)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    " It makes you learn to pour your beverages faster."  Then this is a bad thing !!  8-|
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    In a MBGE, great investment. No more wiggle rods for low and slows. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    do you have a lot of smaller lumps falling through? 

I clean my LGE every two or three cooks, because I happen to like the setting up process.  this would seem to make that moot but it also seems like I would be seeing a lot of lump in the bottom, below the grate.  I'm not a "stacker", I'm a "dumper" unless it's a long cook and then I'll cherry pick a large piece or two and then pour around it with small scrap lump on top.  I can see dumping in to that grate and a lot of lump going right through.

Maybe I'm exaggerating the space between the bars.
  • Beaumonty said:

I clean my LGE every two or three cooks, because I happen to like the setting up process.  this would seem to make that moot but it also seems like I would be seeing a lot of lump in the bottom, below the grate.  I'm not a "stacker", I'm a "dumper" unless it's a long cook and then I'll cherry pick a large piece or two and then pour around it with small scrap lump on top.  I can see dumping in to that grate and a lot of lump going right through.

I have it for my large and I don't get a lot more lump falling through than the original one. BTW, I love my High Que. Great for low and slows or hot and fast cooks.
    Go Hogs Go
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited April 2013
    Beaumonty said:

That's why I made my fire grate out of 9-gauge expanded stainless steel.  The crosshatching prevents anything but the ash and fines from falling through.

On my XL, I used two Weber cooking grates sandwiched together, with the rotation 90 degree apart.  Tack weld it and you have a crosshatched fire grate for $18.  I would have rather made one in expanded stainless steel, but that would have been an expensive cut of metal with a lot of waste on the corners.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have a high-que for my large. If you use your egg enough, the stock charcoal grate will eventually fold up like a pringle and larger lump pieces fall through that than the HQ. It is a great investment. I do not notice significant lump falling through. Egg lights and is up to temp way quicker which is a plus for week night cooks.  
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    I have trouble doing low and slow with my hique if I am using my ATC unit. Anything under 300 or so I prefer the stock grate above 300 my hique is awesome.
  • stlcharcoal
    carter422 said:

I have trouble doing low and slow with my hique if I am using my ATC unit. Anything under 300 or so I prefer the stock grate above 300 my hique is awesome.

You must have a leak somewhere. If you have the temp controller set below 300f, it shouldn't even be kicking on. I can maintain 200-225 grid level temps with a replacement grate no problem. The lower draft door is closed except for the adapter, and the daisy wheel is closed to about a toothpick width.

What kind of temp controller? Does it have a big enough opening that the egg is just drawing air through it without the help of the fan?
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I love the Hi Que on my Large.  Pulled the trigger once I lost 4 butts due to clog in an overnight cook.  Now I dump lump for overnighters instead of stacking and I haven't used my Guru in ages.

Slightly larger pieces get through, but I sleep with confidence and save myself a ton of time.  For me the little extra that makes it through is worth it in time alone.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love the Hi Que on my Large.  Pulled the trigger once I lost 4 butts due to clog in an overnight cook.  Now I dump lump for overnighters instead of stacking and I haven't used my Guru in ages.

Slightly larger pieces get through, but I sleep with confidence and save myself a ton of time.  For me the little extra that makes it through is worth it in time alone.
    This is precisely why I bought the hi-que for my medium.

Now I need to get one for the large, the medium one just chills on a shelf, along with my other medium stuff.
  • I love the Hi Que on my Large.  Pulled the trigger once I lost 4 butts due to clog in an overnight cook.  Now I dump lump for overnighters instead of stacking and I haven't used my Guru in ages.

This is precisely why I bought the hi-que for my medium.

Now I need to get one for the large, the medium one just chills on a shelf, along with my other medium stuff.

Would you be interested in selling your medium HiQue??
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I have High-Que on both my Large and Mini.

Great!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    carter422 said:

I have the High-Que on my large and medium...they work great. I use the Stoker on my large I can maintain 235 at grate...been using this combination for a couple of years no problem at all. I have not tried the stoker on my medium yet. If you can't maintain low temps with the High-Que I would suspect a leak however I ran mine without a gasket for a year and was able to maintain the low temps...maybe the controller is at fault? Regards, Bill
  • Any idea if they are going to make one for the XL?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    I put a high-que in my Large, and my Medium, and my Small.  Wouldn't go back, doubt any of the "larger" pieces that fall through the grate will actually affect the temp all that much.  Just my opinion.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Any idea if they are going to make one for the XL?

If they did, it would be very expensive.  It's three times the metal of a large grate.

I ran the numbers for my expanded stainless steel ones--I would have to charge close to $100 to cover everything and ship it.  There's enough wasted metal to make a Large grate--unfortunately it's in couple dozen pieces.

When customers inquire, I just tell them to go to Home Depot and get an 18" Weber cooking grate for $8.97.  Mine has made it two years so far.

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    The forge temps. possible with the High Que can lead to embarrassing  fantasies... "Under a spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands... The muscles of his brawny arms are strong as iron bands"  ... "Coming, Dear... "  
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    You must have a leak somewhere. If you have the temp controller set below 300f, it shouldn't even be kicking on. I can maintain 200-225 grid level temps with a replacement grate no problem. The lower draft door is closed except for the adapter, and the daisy wheel is closed to about a toothpick width. What kind of temp controller? Does it have a big enough opening that the egg is just drawing air through it without the help of the fan?
    I use the Pitmaster IQE110.  I think my trouble is more a gasket issue than a grate problem.  I have a rutland coming from RRP.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    It did wonders for my small egg. Great product. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93