Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Island eats in my backyard

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Today was the day for a Caribbean menu. Caribbean curries are similar to Indian curries, because laborers from India went to the Caribbean in the 1800's - Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago that I know of, but other islands as well.  Their  cuisine went with them. So I figured a nice goat curry with rice and peas would be great.

Fired up the LBGE in the morning, and cooked up lunch first. Simple skinless chicken lollipops, rubbed with Plowboys' The Jerk... just to get me in the right frame of mind 

As we were eating lunch, I got started on the rice and peas. Sauteed some onions, scallions, thyme, a scotch bonnet, lotsa garlic.

Added the beans (substituted for the "peas"), then rice, followed by coconut milk.

By the time the rice was done, the aroma in the kitchen was driving me crazy!

Time to move outside. Couldn't let such a beautiful day go to waste. Marinated the goat meat the night before, with Jamaican curry powder, pepper, allspice, salt, thyme, ketchup, cumin, and powdered green mango. The square bowls have pureed tomato and pureed red onion. The circular bowls have garlic, a scotch bonnet, and Jamaican curry powder.

Sauteed the onion puree, added the garlic, then threw in the meat.

Browned the meat a bit, then added the tomato puree and curry powder. I cut the scotch bonnet open because I wanted some extra heat.

Once the spices, meat, and tomato were nice and browned, I added some water and covered the DO. Cooked away in the egg at about 325°F dome temp for 1.5hrs. Opened things up and saw that the sauce/gravy was the consistency that I wanted, and the meat was cooked just right - just short of melting in your mouth. 

Plated it up as best I could. 

I couldn't take it any longer and had to dig in. The curry tasted great - just the right amount of heat, and different from the usual Indian curries I make. The rice and peas was a great complement.  I'll definitely have to do this again.

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Options
    Nice Pics!  Need to give this a go!
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

That looks absolutely wonderful.

Beautiful cooks on a beautiful day.

Nice post

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not a fan of curry but would have given that a go (if I was invited). Those peas age going to be added(caned beans ?) soon. You like Plowboys over Walker I bet
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    That looks great! =P~

I've never had goat, but this dish is right up my alley! I need to try it sometime. Maybe you can make it for the caliking pool party egg-xtravaganza B-)
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Awesome!! I haven't had goat since I went to Jamaica years back and that looks spot on. I could go for some curried goat right about now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Wow!  That is definitely something new and different!  I had a goat as a pet when I was a kid.  He was an a-hole so I would have no reservation about cooking and eating him had I known this recipe :)

I have to try those chicken lollipops...those look great!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    Options
    Forgot to give credit where it was due - the lollipops were inspired by @Dyal_SC 's recent Hawaiian version.

@Mickey - the peas are supposed to be pigeon peas, not the green ones, but one has to make do with canned kidney beans due to lack of planning! Plowboys The Jerk rub  on chicken is about the easiest meal I can make that wins me points with SWMBO. She said that she could eat chicken like that for a month and not get tired of it. Plowboys Yardbird is not bad, but I like The Jerk better. Walker's is not bad, but the last time I bought some I didn't use it for a while (2 years I think) and it went kinda rancid on me. Operator error entirely. 

• caliking
    Options
    @Solson005 : I think I remember you saying that you had not had lamb before or that your guests were not willing to try it so you never got to make it. Goat (the younger the better) is a nice lean meat, that is very flavorful and not as robust tasting as lamb or mutton. You can stew it and make a curry, sear for kababs, etc. If you have any halal butchers (usually Middle Eastern or Pakistani grocers) near you, try to give it a shot. It may help to take a friend along to pick out a good cut of meat. 

• caliking
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt: Haha! That's funny! The young ones make good eats... the older ones are just ornery.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    Obviously, you "butts and guts" guys do not work on Sundays. Instead, you are home cooking fantastic dishes. The curry dish is a keeper for sure.

Where did you get the scotch bonnet? All I can find is habanero in this area.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mother pussbucket that looks good
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    caliking -- That looks great!  Stupid question: what exactly are "chicken lollipops", and is that something you get at the store or that you make yourself?  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited April 2013
    Options

YA MON!

@caliking They were distributed all over the Carribean Islands. After slavery was abolished in the main European countries involved they invented "indenture"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    caliking -- That looks great!  Stupid question: what exactly are "chicken lollipops", and is that something you get at the store or that you make yourself?  
    Here is another thread from the Hawaiian legs @Caliking mentioned above.  You just start with chicken legs and you "french" the bone and hack off the knob on the end ;)  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I will look to see if there are any butchers around that will have good cuts.

My plan is to win over my guests with gyro's then work lamb (and now goat) into more meals. I love lamb but have never cooked it.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • caliking
    Options
    @Springram - I do work some weekends and nights! The scotch bonnets were purchased from Kroger in Pearland. They have a section with all kinds of chilies... better than HEB. I would be glad to bring you a sampling the next time you fire up your mini  ;)

@Solson005 - try it the other way around - goat before lamb. Goat has a milder taste IMO. Let me know if I can help you buying the meat. My mom always took me shopping to the butcher, fishmonger, etc as a kid, so I know a thing or two. :)

• caliking
    Options
    @CPARKTX - SmokeyPitt beat me to it. I was going to cite that same thread. It's what inspired me to make them on Sun.

Little Steven  - you are right. Indentured labor was practically a euphemism for slavery. I researched this a bit some time ago, and was amazed by how much Indian food there is in Caribbean cuisine.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Outstanding!!!! =P~ Where did you get the goat meat?
  • caliking
    Options
    @Dyal_SC - from a Pakistani butcher in Houston's Little India (Mahatma Gandhi District). Yes, the irony is delicious (as is the goat) since MG was vegetarian. My butcher is a bit pricier than others, but the meat is the best I have found so far in that area.

• rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    Options
    That looks great caliking.  I havent had goat in years.  What cut of meat did you use?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Why do you guys cut off the end of the leg? Looks like indirect as well?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @rustypotts - I usually buy a hind leg. That way I get a lot of meaty pieced plus some tasty marrow bones as well.

@Mickey - I think its for presentation ... looks cleaner and the narrower end makes the meaty side look bigger. I did mine indirect since they were skinless.

• Springram
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Dyal_SC - from a Pakistani butcher in Houston's Little India (Mahatma Gandhi District). Yes, the irony is delicious (as is the goat) since MG was vegetarian. My butcher is a bit pricier than others, but the meat is the best I have found so far in that area.
    I assume your butcher has a name for his shop ...... quit holding out! Since I am in the greater Houston area, I will travel to wherever he is. I have to try your dish out later this week.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • caliking
    Options
    @Springram - sorry John, didn't mean to hold out. The place is on Hillcroft. A door or two away is Shri Balaji Bhavan,  a pretty good South Indian (vegetarian) restaurant, which used to be even better when we moved here a few years ago.

Yelp says that Al-Aqsa is closed, but I have been there since then and the place was open. Might want to call ahead to make sure. He gets his meat delivered on Wed and Fri I think, so I usually go in the afternoon on those days, with a cooler in my car. I prefer Wed for the best selection. Ask to see the meat hanging in the cooler and pick a leg that looks the freshest. Don't buy what's already  cut up and packaged - those are scraps. They will cut it into pieces for you if you wish. 

Al-Aqsa Halal Meat

6121 Hillcroft St Ste T

HoustonTX 77081
    (713) 484-5100

• Springram
    Options
    Thanks, I will check it out.

Springram
    LBGE and Mini