Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dickson's Eggfest Toronto?

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited April 2013 in Off Topic

I signed up as a cook. Anybody else going? I've been once and it is a great venue if the snow melts before June

http://www.biggreeneggtoronto.com/

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Just signed up as a prospective Pig at the trough ! Are the food samples free or will I have to pay in addition to the entry fee ?
  • Little Steven
    No, that's why you pay the fee. I left them an e-mail to see if they were shy of cooks

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I registered a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to it!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Been thinking about going as a cook.  Never done one before - so a bit unsure.  Do you know if my helper (wife + 4 year old) can come later or do they need to be there at cook's entry time too?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• I haven't been to Canada since the passport requirement and I haven't seen the need to get one until now. Too bad. It would have been fun!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    edited April 2013
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/65830/BigWader">BigWader</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>Been thinking about going as a cook.  Never done one before - so a bit unsure.  Do you know if my helper (wife + 4 year old) can come later or do they need to be there at cook's entry time too?</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>You are allowed a helper for $1.00. I think kids are free. My wife and a friend are coming late. You don't have to be there at any specific time either. They let the cooks in early to set up.<BR>

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    I haven't been to Canada since the passport requirement and I haven't seen the need to get one until now. Too bad. It would have been fun!
    Freddie, It's not til June. You have loads of time. You might be able to see the leafs and dead things play for the marbles

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Registered a while back. Not to cook though, just to eat. It'll be my first Eggfest, and looking forward to meeting some of the people on here and learning some new techniques.

LS, what's on the menu?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven

I usually do pork sate. Last year I did butter chicken and rogan josht and some tommahawk steaks. Are you thinking about coming?

photo eggfestview.jpg

Courtesy Canugghead

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• @Fred19Flintstone, get your passport. You'll be able to use it to go places besides Canada. Besides the Dickson Eggfest you could also plan on doing this...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Yeah Freddie c'mon. You can do the drive in three hours

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Ya, that's nothing. My trip to get there will be 3-1/2 hours.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Little Steven
    My wife goes on hotwire.ca and finds incredible deals on hotels. TO hotels are empty on most weekends.  Freddie will be three and a half too. Just trying to coddle. I can make TO to sarnia in 2 1/2. He's got an hour from Flint to Port Huron

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94

Who thinks the makebeleafs will be playing in June...someone suffer a head injury hehe.Where abouts in To is this egg fest and when .I'll be on To on June 15th.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• Little Steven

I replied twice and added some info from the host dealer but I am awaiting appproval for the post. Just trying to see if this shows

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

OK it had some e-mails attached so I will separate into two.

Firstly: The loafs could be in it, it happened when I was six, seven and twelve.

It's at Polson pier at the bottom of cherry street ( I think) Beautiful venue as long as you only look north or west and avoid the tap water at all costs. There is an outdoor bar located just behind the fest location on the pier

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven

One more try

Okay Steve. No problem.
    Each Chef gets an egg to cook on.
    Each Chef needs to supply the food for that egg that day.
    Each chef will receive their registration money back ($50) plus a $150 eggfest gift card to spend on BGE accessories at eggfest.
    Also all accessories at eggfest are on sale by 20% off.

Best regards
    Many thanks

Robert Rumolo

Dickson Barbeque Centre
    2030 Avenue Rd.
    Toronto, Ontario M5M 4A4
    416-487-4029
    www.dicksongroup.ca

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• sticks88
    Sadly I won't make it as we're going to Toronto on the 15th and can't come sooner as well.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    We went last year and had a great time, just doesn't work out for us this year.

Gerhard
  • Yeah Freddie c'mon. You can do the drive in three hours

Little Steven - Wilma's on board!  We're getting passports (found out it takes about two weeks) & our tix right away.

@TexanOfTheNorth - Edgewalk is absolutely not on our agenda.  We'll be up for other stuff, but we'll have our 5 year old with us. 

Ok.  I got my map!

Flint, Michigan
  • @Fred19Flinstone - I haven't done the edgewalk myself but it is definitely on my bucket list.

Little Steven , @jimfastcar , @TexanOfTheNorth , @BigWader and @Greeno55 :

It will be my great pleasure to meet you guys at this Eggfest.  I guess I can go there!  My whole family went and got EDL's today (takes about 2 weeks to get them) so I bought the tix (guest).  They even made my soon to be 5 year old answer some questions and sign her name for her own ID!  Pretty good trick since recently I asked her if she knew my name and she insisted I was Daddy for everyone.  I can't wait to see that official document come in the mail!  That's government for ya.  She might be smuggling contraband Barbies or something!  Anyway, I wanted to let you know I'll be there along with Wilma and the rest of our family (our teenaged daughter and our 5 year old daughter).  I can hardly wait to meet the diminutive Canuck and the rest of our friends to the east!

Any ideas about what to do in the area on Sunday?

Flint, Michigan
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88

Little Steven , @jimfastcar , @TexanOfTheNorth , @BigWader and @Greeno55 :

It will be my great pleasure to meet you guys at this Eggfest.  I guess I can go there!  My whole family went and got EDL's today (takes about 2 weeks to get them) so I bought the tix (guest).  They even made my soon to be 5 year old answer some questions and sign her name for her own ID!  Pretty good trick since recently I asked her if she knew my name and she insisted I was Daddy for everyone.  I can't wait to see that official document come in the mail!  That's government for ya.  She might be smuggling contraband Barbies or something!  Anyway, I wanted to let you know I'll be there along with Wilma and the rest of our family (our teenaged daughter and our 5 year old daughter).  I can hardly wait to meet the diminutive Canuck and the rest of our friends to the east!

Lots to do in Toronto, what kinds of things interest you ?
  • sticks88
    The Panda's are at the zoo now.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited May 2013
    @Fred19Flintstone, it will be a pleasure to meet you and your family. As @jimfastcar said, there is plenty to do. You might consider taking the ferry over to Centre Island

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadiancities1/tp/centre_island.htm

A trip up the CN Tower is also a lot of fun. And, no, you don't necessarily have to walk around on the outside of the tower.

There are 2 Panda Bears on loan (from China) at the Toronto Zoo that should be on display by then.

Lots to do in Toronto, what kinds of things interest you ?
    If I get my way, the Hockey Hall of Fame!  However, I'm sure I will yield because the Eggfest is my interest, but the kids (especially my teenager) not so much.  The zoo looks strong as well as Center Island (American spelling)!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    Make sure you have room in the vehicle to take some Maple Leaf lump home