Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Pizza Sides

Anybody have any good pizza sides? Not that pizza on the Egg needs sides. But a lot of folks don't 'carb' or 'cheese' much plus a little variety goes a long way. And there's always the left overs.

We don't entertain much, but tonight we've got a group coming over, kids and adults, byob. That usually means cheese pizza for the kids and various pizzas for the adults. We like to make the first adult pizza using a classic recipe and from there let the adults pick their own toppings for the rest. It usually works out pretty good and today we'll try home made dough.

But we need (want) a few sides. A home made bowl of salsa with some chips always works and a couple of salads are on tap. And thinking some skewers of meat done indirect on the Egg just prior to the pizzas would go over well. Pork tenderloin with bbq sauce, marinated chicken, jerk shrimp, and dry rubbed-beef steak seem like a good lineup. 

Comments

• How about grilled asparagus?  Always a winner here and asparagus is versitile.  If your lacking egg space or your temp is up in the pizza zone, you can steam them on the big kitchen clock thingy (gasp!).  They won't be as good, but still quite good.
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    You already have the main side for pizza on tap (salad). Sides with pizza is unusual, but maybe you could do a potato bar or a pasta salad. While not a side, breadsticks would be a good addition.

Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Another very good reason to have additional EGGS. You can never have to many EGGS.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited April 2013
    Wings are often served with pizza, make up a bunch of @cazzy 's wings but they might rave over those instead of the pizza. 

I would make a couple of homemade dressings and make the salads a little more fancy. 

You could also go with your salsa idea and make a couple of salsas and guacamole too. Rick Bayless has some great ones. The grilled garlic and orange guacamole and roasted tomatillo are favorites in my house. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2013
    Duh!!! How in the world did I miss wings? #-o Good catch!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    cazzy said:
    Duh!!! How in the world did I miss wings? #-o Good catch!!
    Can't see the forest for the trees Cazzy, forest for trees....

Personally, I like the salad idea, offer a basic vinaigrette dressing, the non-carb folks will be happy. The pizza topping choices can also double as salad extras, sliced mushrooms, peppers of all colours, ripe olives, sliced red sweet onion and matchstick carrots.    
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    One thing we like to make is bruschetta, I just bake the first pizza dough blank and cut it into two bite size pieces then top those with your favourite bruschetta recipe.  We put the bruschetta mixture in a bowl with a couple of spoons and people can to their pieces them selves, a little bit of crumpled fresh mozzarella makes it even better. It's quick and the fresh crust makes it really good.

Gerhard
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    I hate to suggest this on a grilling form, but I like a nice cool crisp green salad with pizza and wings.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Appreciate the input. Picked up some asparagus and salad fixins on the salsa ingredient run and, of course, wings are the perfect compliment, will do those next time since we're already working the skewers this time. The roasted tomatillo represents new territory so that'll have been done during a BGE 'lab' on a later date. Bon appetEGG!
  • SteveWPBFL
    We've got IPA (Sam Adams something) and we've got 2XIPA (some NY brew), both are hoppy, the way I like them. The wife is Coors Light (she doesn't like beer). The guests are winos, so they're bringing their own. All I've ever known was Boone's Farm, Ripple, and . . like many . . . left off at a bottle of MD2020 one night! 
  • I have to agree, what is pizza without some wings?
     =D 
    Insofar as other sides, I have always been a big fan of just some pasta with garlic butter or pesto. One of my favorite Italian joints, Luigi's of Midland, TX, has a "pizza snack" that is half a pizza with a side of pasta. 
  • SteveWPBFL
    ABTs would work!
  • carter422
    carter422 Posts: 58
    I will do 3 pizza's when I cook them.  The first one I only put cheese on and cut and serve as cheese sticks.  By the time guests are done with them I have a pizza out and put on the second on.