Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse seared center cut sirloins and ...

MEATLOAF.

Yes, meatloaf.  So I was thinking about how great meatloaf is on the Egg.. And I thought, how can I make it better?  Well, I think I've done it.. Cooked the center cut choice sirloins and meatloaf indirect with the cast iron + platesetter + regular grid reverse sear setup (forget who perfected that but it's brilliant) at 350 or so for awhile.. 

Then jacked the temp up to 700 and seared the outside of all of it.. Even flipped the meatloaf to sear both sides!

imageimageimage
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    That looks awesome! =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Great lookin meat! I'd tear into all of that.
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    That is a meatloaf I may just eat!
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Is the last pic the meatloaf? I've never seen on look as good as a steak. Awesome!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Reverse sear is the best way... I had a 2" thick filet mignon tonight for dinner. Setup was no platesetter. Regular grid on top of the fire ring but after I lite the fire I put my GX grill extender right on top of the fire box before I put the regular grid on the fire ring. Put the meat on and close the lid. Cooked until the temp of the meat was 90 degrees. Open the lid and turned the steaks over. Closed the lid and cooked until the meat was 110 degrees. Took the meat off, took the top grid off and opened the bottom vent wide open. While the fire was getting red hot I blotted the water off of the meat that had rendered out. Then I painted the side that I was going to put on the grill extender grid, that was 2" from the red hot coal with Beef Love. Put the meat on let it sizzle for about 3 minutes, painted the other side with Beef Love and then turned it. Got my handy dandy thermapen and waited for the meat temp to reach 135 degrees and pulled it. Went in the kitchen and sautéed some mushrooms and shallots, made a Bernaise sauce and got the coleslaw out of the fridge. Got some red hootch and dined like a king...mmmm
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Sounds awesome!

@Eggcelsior, yep, the last pic is the meatloaf..
    LBGE
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    something about meatloaf direct, no pan. love it. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    A good meatloaf is as good as a steak to me.  Best part is the meatloaf sandwich, one of my favorite meals.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Does the reverse searing part add anything to the finished steak other than appearance, texture, and an extra step?
    Gittin' there...
  • bccomstock
    edited April 2013
    Does the reverse searing part add anything to the finished steak other than appearance, texture, and an extra step?
    To me, the steaks (and other meats) are generally more moist/juicy when done reverse sear method.. Since they're not being cooked quickly initially, they don't dry out as much.  Then the searing at the end sorta locks it all in.  I'm big on textures too, so when my burgers have a nice crisp outside and moist inside, it's just awesome IMO.

LBGE
  • bccomstock
    Of note, due to time constraints, I went a bit higher on the initial temps than I usually do.. These steaks were cooked a little quicker than I would normally prefer.
    LBGE