Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peace symbol trivia

With all the chaos in the world, I've noticed a resurgence of the Peace Symbol on pins, tshirts, decals, etc.

But, I've found that very few people know it's origins or how the symbol was designed.

Back in the '60s, there was a push for global nuclear disarmament and the "Ban the Bomb" symbol was designed. It has since become known as the peace symbol. It is made up from two letters in semaphore, a system of communications using two flags to represent letters and numbers. Each letter is represented by a unique placement of the two flags. Semaphore has been used by the military since the 19th century and still has limited use in the Navy.

The symbol for the letter "N" is: (think nuclear)
Report this image

The symbol for the letter "D" is: (think disarmament)
Report this image

Combine the two to represent Nuclear Disarmament and you get:
Report this image

Ta da !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You are so much more than a pretty face :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Wealth of knowledge my friend.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Used it, worn it, had it on my car. Never knew that's what it meant. Thanks VI for today's lesson!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Nice history lesson.  That genie is out of the bottle and will never go back in. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Interesting. I didn't know that. (because I can't be serious for long) I hope this can be part of a trilogy. Today we got peace and I hope the next ones are on drugs and rock & roll!
    Flint, Michigan
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Is there a symbol for "We are at war now mf"? (My google is broken....)
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Actually, yes.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013

I think it would go something like this.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Speaking of NRA... I was pretty surprised to see all those proposals get shot down in the senate... 
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Speaking of NRA... I was pretty surprised to see all those proposals get shot down in the senate... 

POLITICS?? Run away!!!!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665

:)) Lol...

Here's a slightly OT for the OT... But nice chuckle...

=))

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    is this a $@& cooking forum or a old, dope smoking, pinko commie forum?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    henapple said:
    If you're going to the Austin Eggfest, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• henapple said:
    Where have I heard this before? :))
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

henapple said:

If you're going to the Austin Eggfest, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

I was going but the thought of you with flowers in your hair riding the vespa... you might detour Austin and head to the Bay.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited April 2013
    henapple said:
    Yes on both accounts.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    My NRA patch finally has Life Member rockers.

Apologies for contributing to a highjack, VI.  Maybe some of you folks have heard of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association (NMLRA).

For weeks now we've been hearing that the 2nd amendment doesn't mean you can own an AR-15, because muskets were in use when it was written. Now a Leftist is trying to make it harder for those of us that actually shoot muskets, to get powder.

LOL, don't listen to their words, look at their actions.

On April 17th, 2013, U.S. Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) issued a press stating that he plans on proposing new legislation and attempting to amend current gun control legislation before Congress that would require the sales of black powder to be subject to a criminal background check. The entire press release can be read by clicking here. The NMLRA staff is working to monitor this proposed legislation and keep you informed as the situation develops.

According to the press release, Lautenberg will introduce the “Explosive Materials Background Check Act,” which will require a background check to purchase black powder, black powder substitute and smokeless powder in any quantity. His office has also stated that he intends to offer this is as an amendment on future legislation that is being considered by the Senate.

The NMLRA encourages you to contact your elected officials and voice your opinion on this matter. You may use the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s elected official lookup to determine who your representatives are in Congress.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Village Idiot
    Doc,
    With all due respects, I did not intend this thread to get political.  I am a member of the NRA and a black powder shooter, but my inclusion of their symbol was only in reply to the question "Is there a symbol for "We are at war now"

Perhaps we should let this thread die.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    You got it VI.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Cool info And I prefer Gun Owners of America.
    Boom