Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig Question

I've looked everywhere, can't find Dizzy Pig locally.  I am going to order a few "blends" from Amazon.  Question is, what should I start with?  Mostly we eat chicken breasts, steaks, and burgers. 

I will probably order three - opinions?
Ringgold, Georgia

Comments

• krames
    krames Posts: 70
    I would definitely pick up a Dizzy Dust. It my generic go to rub. I am also finding myself using a lot of Raging River. It's got this nice maple finish to it.  (I LOVE it on green beans.)

I also have raging river, Jamaican firewalk, and the red eye express. I like them, but not enough to pick them as the third. I will have to let someone else weigh in on that.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If you like middle eastern sort of flavors, Tsunami Spin is brilliant. It is great on chicken and lamb.  I use it probably more than any of the others.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Try their dealer locator page. https://dizzypigbbq.com/zDP/index.php?main_page=dealers

I would definitely get the sampler pack and see what ones you really like. I really like all the unique flavor profiles. Swamp Venom is awesome on shrimp, Tsunami Spin is really good too, pineapple head is great on sweet potatoes and people say corn too (I just haven't tried it yet) both cow lick and raising the steaks are awesome on beef. Dizzy dust coarse is awesome on ribs. Raging river is great on fish and turkey. Get the sampler and find a couple favorites then get the shakers. They fill them all the way to the top so you get a lot of rub in the shakers.

Or you can be like @Plano_JJ and get the giant containers :D
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited April 2013
    Why not order directly from DP? I've always had very prompt service. And you can be certain that the mix will be as fresh as possible.

Overall, DP's rubs are fairly distinctive.

I'm not a fan of chicken breast, but Tsunami Spin makes it almost edible for me.

For awhile I used lots of Raisin' the Steaks on steak, but presently like Cowlick a little more. It goes well w. any beef. Red Eye Express is a very interesting addition to burger, at least as far as I'm concerned.

I use an equal mix of Dizzy Dust and Swamp Venom as a basic 'Q rub.

I went nuts over Ragin River. Used it on just about everything. Would mix it w. butter to spread on breakfast toast, and then toss some on scrambled eggs.

• FYI--Dizzy Pig people are now bottling their producs under the BGE label as well.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• kascls
    kascls Posts: 9
    Thanks guys, I just ordered a sampler package from the Dizzy Pig site.
    Ringgold, Georgia
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

I use Dizzy Dust on all ribs and pork. I like swamp venom on my chicken. Cow Lick or Raisin' The Steaks for beef.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    FYI--Dizzy Pig people are now bottling their producs under the BGE label as well.
    The flavor profiles of the BGE label are a bit different than their private label.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love swamp venom. Fajita-ish is great and I have Cowlick too. Cowlick was great on the steak I did. I plan on doing it on a brisket once I can replace my egg and also give the Cowlick chili a spin.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Solson005 said:
    Try their dealer locator page. https://dizzypigbbq.com/zDP/index.php?main_page=dealers I would definitely get the sampler pack and see what ones you really like. I really like all the unique flavor profiles. Swamp Venom is awesome on shrimp, Tsunami Spin is really good too, pineapple head is great on sweet potatoes and people say corn too (I just haven't tried it yet) both cow lick and raising the steaks are awesome on beef. Dizzy dust coarse is awesome on ribs. Raging river is great on fish and turkey. Get the sampler and find a couple favorites then get the shakers. They fill them all the way to the top so you get a lot of rub in the shakers. Or you can be like @Plano_JJ and get the giant containers :D

+1 on sampler pack. Currently going through them now and really enjoying all of them. I'm also very surprised with how far each little baggie goes. Be warned though, if you sample them all, like me, you'll probably buy them all.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Dizzy pig is really good. When I found out Dizzy pig made the new BGE lable rubs I tied them. I am going to stick with them they are awsome.
  • I have all of the DP rubs. They are good but generally low on salt. I will get around to it this summer - adding kosher salt.

I haven't heard anyone mention the Curry-ish rub. That is good stuff, especially on chicken.
  • I have almost all of them... If you're picking three: #1 Cow Lick Rub for steaks, #2 Swamp Venom...it has a bite..outstanding on hot wings.. drumsticks, or chicken breasts. #3 Pineapple Head. Salmon, Shrimp, Scallops... you'll never use another rub for seafood.

Dizzy Dust is great as well... The coarse grind is what I use on Boston Butts.

BOOMER!
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Raging River is my favorite. I use it on chicken, fish, ABTs, and other stuff... My second fav is Tsunami Spin.

I would avoid the "Curry-ish" flavor... It tastes like "ish" to me....
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • kascls
    kascls Posts: 9
    So, I received my sample pack (actually, I ordered two of them).  First up was a pork loin, I used Dizzy Dust.  Simply the best pork loin we have ever had, everyone loved it.  Last night I cooked chicken - breasts and thighs.  I used Tsunami Spin - outstanding.  So far, we are 2 for 2 - we've tried two of the samples and will definitely be purchasing both of them. 

This afternoon I am making burgers - any DP recommendations?
    Ringgold, Georgia
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Red eye express for burgers. Red eye express is also good in baked beans!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I like raising the steaks or cow lick for burgers. Red eye on pork tender or flatiron steak. Raging river on chicken or wings, as well as vegetables. You will be hard pressed to find one you don't like. Oh yeah, Jamaican firewall on chicken and veg. Curry-ish the same. Well as you can see, I'm a fan.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I made sliders and used a few different rubs to do a test and cow lick was the overall favorite.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited April 2013
    Pineapplehead is fabulous on Sweet potatoes/yams.  Also great on squash.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • kascls said:
    Thanks guys, I just ordered a sampler package from the Dizzy Pig site

Me too, and just got the package in the mail today, thanks Dizzy Pig!  It is too late to go out and get ribs started, but tomorrow!  Looking forward to a 5 meat cooks to sample the rubs and compare, this will be fun!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR