Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Tragedy

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Thats not good. Is it all salvageable?
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    What happened?? Looks horrible!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013

I just threw up my breakfast.   :-&

Damn that sucks, I feel for you.

What happened?

On the good side, looks like you did not have too much damage?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    What happened?!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    The umbrella may have absorbed some of the shock?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I completely feel your pain.

Like @Focker said, Good Guy Umbrella seems to have helped keep Humpty intact.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Can all the kings horses and all the king's men put it together again?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    We had a wind storm night before last.  Actually woke us up about 4:00.  I discovered the damage yesterday morning.

I suspect the chain of events was that my large patio table/umbrella combo tipped over in the storm.  This blew up against the Egg and rolled it off of the concrete pad into the rock bed (about a 4 inch drop), which tipped it over.  My gasser was totally destroyed in the event.

The only damage to the Egg was about a 1 inch chip where the nest bit it on the way down.  Completely cosmetic.  Of course the shelf was obviously tweaked out of sort, 

All of the damage was covered by insurance but unfortunately the insurance company is going to pick up everything they are paying me for and would not, for whatever reason, entertain the idea of me buying the Egg back for scrap value. 

The nest appears okay. 

We also had some minor roof damage.  Our total damage was around $3,000.  They are giving me a little over $1,000 for the Egg and the shelves.  I think that will be adequate to replace it,  I have had the Egg for about 8 years.  It has served me well.  May she rest in peace.
  • canegger
    Gut the egg. Take out the fire box and ring ceramic cap and daisy wheel or find a broken one and give them that
  • Eggcelsior
    Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that. During Sandy we had 60 mile per hour sustained winds with gusts up to 75 all night long I was so freaked out that my medium was going to go down since I had forgotten to move it into my garage. My weeping cherry was whipping around in a circular motion. I can't believe it all survived, just to be broken by me changing a gasket.

Sorry about all this. Glad everyone is okay.
  • Eggcelsior
    canegger said:
    Gut the egg. Take out the fire box and ring ceramic cap and daisy wheel or find a broken one and give them that
    +1. Keep everything but the shell, including the nest.

Unless the adjuster has already accounted for it.
  • canegger
    And as much as this pains me too say but if they are taking the egg I would make sure they couldnt use it. I'm sorry that was hard to write
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

So sorry to see another one bite the dust. Hope your insurance makes it right.

So, is it a good deed to have the egg restrained at night times so storms don't blow it down?

Yet another reason to anchor it in a table, but then that comes with problems of its own.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• probe1957
    canegger said:
    I may take the daisy wheel and obviously will take my plate setter.  I don't know, other than that, that I will take anything else.  I just can't see a reason for it.  Never cracked in 8 years and covered under warranty if they do.  I want to be made whole (other than my deductible) and I really don't want to try to screw my insurance company.  Not that they would know anyway but...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    it sucks they''re taking the old one...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • canegger
    edited April 2013
    @probe1957 Ya totally agree probably not worth the risk of not getting anything or worse
  • probe1957
    henapple said:
    it sucks they''re taking the old one...
    It really does and although I am not an insurance guy so won't pretend to understand their business, I just don't get why they wouldn't offer a settlement on the Egg.  I really think I would have taken $500, which would have saved them over $500.

Now I need to call Marx and make sure $1000 and change is enough.  I did see one in Sams Club the other day, with the shelves, for $899 but would prefer to buy from the mom and pop operation.  Besides, if I buy from Sams Club I am sure I am just going to get a box of parts where the dealer will deliver it completely assembled.
  • Check the warranty from sams, I am pretty sure there is not one. That sucks, good luck. Hopefully youll be cooking soon.
  • probe1957
     just to be broken by me changing a gasket.
    As I indicated I have had my Egg for about 8 years.  Probably 7 years and 9 months of that was without a viable gasket.  See whatcha get for tempting fate?  :)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd buy one with a warranty... hell, get the new xxlbge...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Insurance... The only thing you make steady payments on and hope you never use it. But when you do use it, it is a beautiful thing. That sure is an ugly sight... May your Egg rest in peace!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    That sucks, I'll drink an extra one tonight in remembrance .

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Eggcelsior
    probe1957 said:
     just to be broken by me changing a gasket.
    As I indicated I have had my Egg for about 8 years.  Probably 7 years and 9 months of that was without a viable gasket.  See whatcha get for tempting fate?  :)
    Even worse, I wasn't even "changing" the gasket; just realigning the dome. I had made a gasket ring that only sits on the base. Now I have a sweet, felt-lined Frisbee. I think I'll teach my dog to jump through it.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Wow that is horrible. 
    Gonna use image to for a scared straight presentation to my son. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2013
    I am so sorry to hear about this. I would be sick. On another note is there an eggfest near you? Might try there for a demo if there is an eggfest near you.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Ouch ouch ouch. Great to hear that insurance will cover it. I would keep the innards as others have said, but don't see the rationale behind making it unusable. I like to keep spare parts around, but that's just me. 

Hope you're back up and egging pronto.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

• Check the warranty from sams, I am pretty sure there is not one. That sucks, good luck. Hopefully youll be cooking soon.

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • probe1957
    Just an update.  Been 2 weeks now and still no word from the insurance company about picking up the Egg.  Maybe they have dropped the ball and I will end up with, essentially, a free albeit slightly damaged Egg.

And the patio table that was turned over in the storm.  They paid me for that too.  I have no idea why as there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• probe1957 said:
    Just an update.  Been 2 weeks now and still no word from the insurance company about picking up the Egg.  Maybe they have dropped the ball and I will end up with, essentially, a free albeit slightly damaged Egg.

And the patio table that was turned over in the storm.  They paid me for that too.  I have no idea why as there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    Funny you should mention that...

The...uhhh insurance company contacted me to pick up the egg. What time would be good for you? No worries about the table, it will never fit in my Metro.
    Gittin' there...
  • probe1957
    Well, at 2 months, I still have the Egg and haven't heard from the insurance company.  Of course I have used it many times with no issues whatsoever.

I gave the gas grill to my neighbor who made a base with angle iron and has a perfectly functioning unit.  Unfortunately he initially placed it too close to his house and melted some siding.  Cost him, if I recall correctly, $17 to repair the damage.  He is not very smart, On the other hand, maybe he is smart because he is single.  ;)