Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"The Baking Steel" Group Buy

Options

Comments

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    @chrisnjenn, how does that make @canegger a troll? He is stating fact. The baking steel is made to fit a standard oven(square with rounded corners) and this guy is custom making rounds for eggers. He is waving the normal fee plus 3 dollars in what amounts to nearly 20% off what it would cost you to ask for it on your own.

He edited his original post from being rude and condescending to the one you see now.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    @chrisnjenn I wasn't trying to be rude with what I was saying at all
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Then why edit it? Doesn't matter. Have a good night.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2013
    Options

I don't understand how less material(steel), rectangle vs circle, is just as much money?  Let alone a mini steel vs an XL steel?

The cutting is all computerized right?

$76 for a 12" on the small?  No thanks.

I do believe it is worth it for large owners and especially XL owners. 

Andris should have thought this through some more?   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @chrisnjenn, I understand. Didn't see the first post.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    This may be a silly question but am assuming its food grade steel he uses does anyone know the grade of steel that he does use ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Focker
    edited April 2013
    Options
    bigphil said:
    This may be a silly question but am assuming its food grade steel he uses does anyone know the grade of steel that he does use ?
    A36 low carbon
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2013
    Options

Focker said:

I don't understand how less material(steel), rectangle vs circle, is just as much money?  Let alone a mini steel vs an XL steel?

The cutting is all computerized right?

$76 for a 12" on the small?  No thanks.

I do believe it is worth it for large owners and especially XL owners. 

Andris should have thought this through some more?   

all depends on the size diameter he needs to by to produce his products if he makes a 16 inch square product the material maybe 22 diameter and milled to the dimensions . and if thats the cause that would explain his pricing point .also steel when purchased by machine shops it bought by the pound 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    bigphil said:

It a36 steel. It's a form of carbon steel typically used in structures as support steel. Yes, it is food safe.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    @focker, I wonder if it has to do with the steel waste. The fabricator I use accounts for the entire piece necessary to make the cuts. I bet he is charging for the single piece all are cut from.
  • Focker
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I agree, the other sizes would create too much waste I suppose.  Waste he has to pay for. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    Exactly how do I order this? I don't see the option for a custom order. Do I need to add the standard square model to my cart and then put my real order in the notes?
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    edbro said:
    Exactly how do I order this? I don't see the option for a custom order. Do I need to add the standard square model to my cart and then put my real order in the notes?

Exactly. Add the regular 1/4" to the cart with the promo code. Just make sure you type the size you want in the special notes section. It was a breeze to order.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    Just got mine ordered, forgot to Indicate 16" round! oops, I sent them an email to clarify.  Thanks for organizing this.
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Options
    I am in as well, I just need to determine size. I currently use a 17.5 inches stone for bottom and 16 inch stone for top using either woo and/or adjustable rig for cooking higher in the dome. 16 inches is very limiting on the XL as far as pizza size. 

The XL adjustable rig's top ring diameter is 19.25 inches OD and the bottom ring diameter is 23 inches OD.

Is there a use for the bottom stone in a steel plate setup? If not, the 21 inch sounds great, allowing one inch airflow all around and a simpler setup cooking at grid level. Using a woo2 and putting the 17.5 inches stone under would also work, but that would put the 21 inch steel plate at gasket level making it very likely to burn it, no?

If the bottom stone helps even with a steel plate setup, witch I think it does, would using a 14.5 inches lump reducing ring in the middle of the egg, a 17.5 inches stone at grid level to divert the heat, a 19.5 inches stone on top of the adjustable rig be viable or will the exterior of the pizza be over-baked compared to the middle?? That would be ideal as you cook higher in the dome, therefore reproducing the broil setup of seriouseats tests because of heat reflection in the dome, I assume. 

decisions, decisions... 

note: I do not have any platesetter witch is 21 inch diameter btw.  

Quebec - Canada
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I just ordered a 21" for my XL!  Thanks for setting this up.  I was reading comments about baking steel on a pizza forum, and the people who use them say that it puts out a superior pizza.  I can't wait to try it out.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Options
    Tried to order but this keeps coming up. There is a problem with this website's security certificate. The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address. Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server. We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    So what size are yall ordering for a large?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Thanks for organizing this, I had already gone after one for my large, but was waiting for the group buy to turn my medium into a traveling pizza oven!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Aviator said:
    So what size are yall ordering for a large?
    Watching what I like to call The Focker Trials, it looks like there were challenges with the 16 in and platesetter set up.  When he moved to the 16 inch with a wok and sand, his results got way better.  16 inch limits how high into the dome you can go and still leave room for the heat to move into the dome and cook the top.  The wok set up (discussed in another thread) encourages the heat to roll up the bottom of the wok and into the dome (because of the shape) while offering some protection to the bottom.  It doesn't have go as high into the dome to cook the top.  I went 15 inch and will be getting a cheapie wok for pizza.  But I think with the wok set up, you'd be great either way.  Thank goodness Focker did all the work so I could coast!
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    @Mo egg, contact Andris via his website and he should be able to help you out.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Just ordered the 16" for my large.  Easy, peezy, japaneezy.  Thanks @fletcherfam for setting all of this up!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Bjorg
    Options
    My wall of text is not likely to get response, so let me simplify my question:

Would a 17.5 inchs heat deflecting stone under a 19.5 inches baking steel high in the dome setup work or do I need a heat deflecting stone/wok the same size as the steel plate?

I use a 14.5 inches lump reducing ring. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • Focker
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Bjorg said:
    My wall of text is not likely to get response, so let me simplify my question:

Would a 17.5 inchs heat deflecting stone under a 19.5 inches baking steel high in the dome setup work or do I need a heat deflecting stone/wok the same size as the steel plate?

I use a 14.5 inches lump reducing ring. 
    From the trials so far, I would try and keep the sizes equal, and as close together as possible with a smaller air gap.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Bjorg
    Options
    Thanks for the response Focker. I will get a 19 inch wok and a 19 inch steel baking steel then. I needed a bigger wok anyways. Hopefully I can fill it up with sand and not lose the seasoning, I would think so. 

Quebec - Canada
  • Focker
    Options

Woks are cheap, I bought a 16" carbon steel wok for ten bucks at thewebrestaurantstore.com just for use with the steel.  They have cheap pizza peels as well, both wood and metal. ;)

You could try just the wok without the sand.  Haven't tried it yet.  Regardless you will torch the seasoning off with it getting the brunt of the fire.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Bjorg
    Options
    Right. Ok I will get a wok locally as it is $70 shipping to Canada + taxes and duty lol on that website for me lol. 
    Quebec - Canada
  • yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Options
    I got a 16" for a Large BGE are you suggesting I will get the best results with the Wok/sand vs Place setter.  How will the 16" baking steel work with an AR set up?
  • Focker
    edited April 2013
    Options

Not necessarily, experiment like I did with settings and discover what works best for you.  I'm sure someone will come up with a setup that is better than the wok setup I'm currently using. 

With the platesetter, there are 3 areas where the steel is unshielded.

It works fine with the AR.  I've only used it raised direct for cheesesteaks and burgers.  Next cook will probably be a nice marinaded skirt steak for fajitas.  This thing will be a searing machine.  Steel IR increased 130 degrees vs dome temp. So a blazing hot fire is not needed, and raising the steel protects the seasoning.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Bjorg said:
    Right. Ok I will get a wok locally as it is $70 shipping to Canada + taxes and duty lol on that website for me lol. 

Whoah!!

Yeah, find one locally.  ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities