Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Boar 'Slayer' Chops (pics)

Spent some time in Austin this weekend and stopped by Salt and Time, a new butcher shop and salumeria.  Since I don't actually live in Austin, I didn't really intend to buy much...but that sort of went out the window. Ended up walking out with a small pork belly, some housemade wild boar sausage, a few slices of Coffee Lomo (coffee cured pork loin), and these two wild boar slayer chops. 

Full shot of the chops

a closer shot. They were really lean, but turned out super tender. 

Went with the reverse sear. Seasoned with salt and pepper, then indirect as 250 with pecan chunks until internal reached 110ish. Here they are after after the roast and ready for the sear.

90 seconds per side at 650ish

plated up with some mashed sweet potato and sauteed kale, as well as a link of the aformentioned sausage

Nice rare center

If you're in Austin, definitely check out Salt and Time. Fantastic selection of locally-sourced and humanely raised meat. Prices were good too...they even tossed in some curing salt to go with my pork belly.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Very nice looking chop. Just one question, and I hate to ask, but this is pork right?? Boar=pork... 110 and then sear still looks extremely rare. Is that safe? I really don't want to take anything away from a beautiful cook, I'm jist very curious.

XLBGE 
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    with a good wild or pastured pork, i usually eat it medium rare and have never had a problem. Doubt I'd try it with feed lot pork
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Where is this place in Austin?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Yep, got to go there. Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's some great looking meat. Will have to check them out next time I'm in Austin.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Very nice, not sure that rare would be my choice.  But they do look great
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Very nice looking chop. Just one question, and I hate to ask, but this is pork right?? Boar=pork... 110 and then sear still looks extremely rare. Is that safe? I really don't want to take anything away from a beautiful cook, I'm jist very curious.
    Like MCN mentioned, I too am curious. I know that trichinosis has all but been eliminated from feed-lot pork due to regulation and improved farming practices. I though wild game and home-raised pigs still carried the warnings though.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Those look amazing but I'm with the nurse and eggcelsior. I like my pork done.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Those tomahawk chops are awesome!  You can count me in the lovers of pink pork club!  I never cook my domestic pork chops past 135*.  I let them rest and get up to 138 - 140* and chow down.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I'm under the impression that the new FDA recommendations state that pork can be safely eaten at 145 (which is what I've been cooking my roasts/chops at). To me, I consider 145 well done. I'm just wondering the same thing MrCookingNurse is asking.

Going on a wild boar hunt in June...hopefully I'll be coming home with some of those guys.
    Dunedin, FL
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    Big difference between 110 & 145. 
    I love my pork pink (actually got the Mrs into it finally), but even I would put those puppies back on for a bit. Especially wild.

The brother in-law goes hunting for boar, but he smokes all of it.  

to each their own.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    I'm still alive!!! :)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I'm not trying to pester you, I am just really curious. All cases in the US now come from wild game, not farm-raised. I was wondering if you know something I don't.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    That last pic is crazy, looks like a rare seared tuna steak.  Amazing.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @bclarksicle

Calm down my friend. The majority of us eat our pork pink, chicken as close to safe as we can, and steaks rare but the point is to stay as juicy as can, while remaining safe. Your chops look amazing, but rare pork is a scary thing and no one is knocking you, just wanting to know your experience.

XLBGE