Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump Charcoal

six_egg
six_egg Posts: 1,110
I read the naked whiz review. I just want to see what some people on here think about Cowboy lump charcoal.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    havent seen his review on it in a while but cowboy lump has changed in the last year, i actually liked it better when it was all scrap wood flooring, burned cleaner.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I hated it.  I tried it twice, and both bags had the same contents:  one baby-leg size piece of charcoal, about ten pieces of concrete and lots of marble-sized pieces...just big enough to clog the air vents in the firebox. 

To be fair, I've seen decent reviews as well.  I think a lot of it depends on the handler, shipping processes, etc.  HD stocks Cowboy charcoal here, and based on the contents of the bag, I believe they have them airdropped in from about 20,000 feet without parachutes.  I think the employees then kick the bags the rest of the way to the shelves. 

Royal Oak, all the way

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I bought a bag of cowboy the other day and I like it. Been using RO and it seems to be getting worse every bag I buy. The cowboy had nice big chunks, lit easy, and burned a long time. All this is based on one bag though.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Depends on the area you are in I think. I like Cowboy way more than RO. RO smellis like chemicals for an hour at minimum for me. I have to heat egg for an hour and a half before I can put food on. Never had problems with Cowboy.

Here are my rankings on limited brands used:

Nature Glo, B&B, Cowboy, RO, BGE (RO with high price)

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I use Cowboy from Lowes. Ive been lucky with some good size lump.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657

Chubbs said:

Depends on the area you are in I think. I like Cowboy way more than RO. RO smellis like chemicals for an hour at minimum for me. I have to heat egg for an hour and a half before I can put food on. Never had problems with Cowboy.

Here are my rankings on limited brands used:

Nature Glo, B&B, Cowboy, RO, BGE (RO with high price)

they may have just fixed there problems transfering from all scrap wood to more of a lump. last summer i was getting small logs with bark and the strong smell of pine, some pieces hadnt transformed to lump yet, you could see tan wood in there. im sure they struggled with it for a while before getting it right
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    the only lump worth a @$&# is Ozark Oak
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

Sooty, smelly trash, fast burning, containing odd bits of plywood and other debris.

I use mainly RO, although recently got a couple of bags of Wicked Good which I will go to when I can get it.  Best of the West is OK too.

If backed into a corner, and given the choice of paying twice the price for BGE brand or resorting to Cowboy, I would pay for the BGE.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• six_egg
    henapple the only lump worth a @$&# is Ozark Oak

I have been trying meet up with someone on this forum to get some of that brand. Hmmm... wonder who it was.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    My experience was the same as Doc's.  Plywood turns me off.  I saw one comment about pine in it.  Really?!?  Not good.  I use RO.  Some bags have more small pieces than others but it's easy to find, price friendly and I know what to expect.  BTW, RO makes BGE lump and many other private brands.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • six_egg
    Thank you all for your input. I really like this forum. Knowledgeable and informative people.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited April 2013
    Cowboy changed a number of years ago from their mill scrap feedstock to what looked more like normal slabs from the sawmill.  I haven't opened a bag in some time.  I haven't reviewed their updated lump either. What I did see of the new Cowboy was no plywood or scraps.  It seemed to be relatively small pieces in general.  FWIW......
    The Naked Whiz
  • henapple
    six_egg said:

henapple the only lump worth a @$&# is Ozark Oak

I have been trying meet up with someone on this forum to get some of that brand. Hmmm... wonder who it was.

I've talked to so many others where are you?
  • six_egg
    edited April 2013
    I am 100 miles south of Memphis, TN. Follow 55 south to Grenada, MS

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'll never buy it again

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • henapple
    six_egg said:

I am 100 miles south of Memphis, TN. Follow 55 south to Grenada, MS

I thought so... be in Memphis this month but that's as close
  • garbage
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Tried it once - lots of crap in the bag, lots of sparks burning. Long time WGWW user, just tried Wegmans brand (RO) and liked it.
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i use it during off season in a pinch, it is readily available at the local ACE for 12.99 for 20 pounds.  it burns ok seems a bit longer than royal oak to burn off the voc's.  flavor profile is fairly neutral.  never found any weird pieces.  that being said burn time isn't as long ash production is ok (bit more than r.o. but not bad).  Pieces are mostly medium with smalls and dust like always.  I do flip all bags of lump and if i hear a lot of movement I move on.  If it sounds like one of those rainmaker noise toys i put it back.  Bottom line I'm not that picky about something that is gonna get the mapp torch put to it.