Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Size of frame members for dual egg table?

Looking to build a table out of Western Red Cedar to hold both my small and large BGE. Table length will be just shy of 80" and probably about 24-28" wide. I don't have much experience with building wooden structures, and I'm unsure of what size lumber to use for the lower support frame. The table plans posted at nakedwhiz use 4"x7/8" for a single large egg. I'm thinking at least 2x4, or 2x6, or 2x4 with a sistered 2x4 attached to the main frame front and back where the egg will sit. Anyone have recommendations as to which way would be best to support the two eggs?

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    I would go 2×6 to be on the safe side especially over that distance and weight
  • 4x4 legs should be fine

2x6 for the frame should hold a lot of weight, particularly if reinforce with 2x4 below eggs

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    It's not about the size of the wood... It's about the engineering of the structure. Laminate 2 2X4's, that will be stronger than a 4X4. 4X4's that are not kiln dry to under 5% moisture content will be suceptible to spliting and cracking. The engineering of the bottom shelf that the Egg's will rest on is where you need to build the strength, make the top shelf look pretty it will bear very little weight. Try to buy wood that has been kiln dry to furniture making standards. That will protect you against wrapping, splitting and cracking issues. Finishing it... Made sure you finish ALL sides including the bottom sides of the 2 shelves and the interior of any drawer you might use. If moisture is able to penetrate the wood it will and then it will warp first and then split. Put a minimum of three coats of a good polyurethane finish on it.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    For a table 80" long, I would do 4 X4 legs with sistered 2 X 6 frame that the eggs sit on.  2 X 6 bracing front to rear spaced 16 O.C.  That should hold anything you throw at it.  The minimal price difference between 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's is worth the peace of mind to me.

Living Large and XL