Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New dome design...

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829

If anyone here is going to object a thread title it has to be this one.  It is just not right to lure people in with a title that suggests there may have been a redesign of the egg and then show that picture.

This thread title should have had a warning about "graphic content".

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Where you at man? I am going for warranty on my dome that is spawling. You are welcome to it if it's covered. That is a large isn't it?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Where you at man? I am going for warranty on my dome that is spawling. You are welcome to it if it's covered. That is a large isn't it?

It's a medium. I'm near DC
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Your poor Egg! This is how it made me feel:

Things can change so fast... going to hug my Egg now. 
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Two years ago my aunt and uncle approached me about trading my second Large for their medium, table and some cash.  The day they were scheduled to come, he picked it up to load it in the back of the truck.  You can't carry an Egg by the band's, particularly if you've never tightened them.

He said he'd never forget the sound of the egg hitting the driveway or the nausea that came after.

Sorry about your Egg.  You'll happy with a bigger one eventhough it'll be a little while before the new addition to the family is ready for Egged food.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    How dare you! 
    You should post a warning like NSFW. My 9 year old son was looking over my shoulder, when I clicked this thread, and that graphic picture of ceramic violence popped up!!! 

seriously, glad you will be getting a large out of it. 
    Sorry to see that. Can't wait to see the new gasket design.... If it changes the way gaskets are reapplied, it may have all been worth it. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Eggcelsior:

I would remove the gasket from the new egg before any cook, its just too easy not to do it.
    You can use the packing material to hold the dome while applying the new gasket!

Sorry for you loss!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Tough to see that pic. Even though ya gotta fork out some cash for the large sounds like your still making the best out on the loss. That medium base still has potential for wok cooks and sears for T-Rex steaks. A little patience and you might stumble across a replacement dome. Good luck!
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm really sorry to hear that!  Costco is actually going to take it back??  If that is the case, then I would say the Costco warranty is actually better than the Big Green Egg warranty! 

The super-gasket looks promising.  Looking forward to seeing that once you get humpty back together again. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    ive got that on two eggs now, before the changing of the guard i was told by bge its covered and they did cover my small base last year when half of the side lifted off. i guess you cant leave them outside in the rain where it gets cold
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Ouch. Not the kind of retractable roof dome I like to see..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

@SmokeyPitt

Costco did take it back. $614 in my pocket for the next one. Costco is the best!

I have the Super gasket finished, just no Egg. That will change soon! 
    That is awesome.  Do they have any more?  I would buy from them again if they had them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Nope. The way the buying offices work is that 75% of what is sold at Costco is there year round. 10% is seasonal. 5% is road-show product. The remaining 10% is "Easter Eggs" that appear when the buyers get a great deal on a high-end product. I have the feeling that this was one of those times. They now carry the Vision Kamado with the seasonal grills. I heard Sams had the large Eggs around a month ago.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Good for you man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Eggcelsior not sure if you have made you mind up as to where you are going to buy your new egg at but I recommend you call Clark's Ace Hadrware in ellicot city. This is where I bought mine last year and heir prices were great. Not sure where outside DC you are but there is a dealer in Lewes DE who's prices are also good and NO SALES TAX. If you opp for Clark's, and have a discover card you can trade in you rewards dollars for ace gift cards(this is how I paid for my xl platesetter nest pizza stone ash tool and 2bags of BGE charcoal. I came out of pocket ZERO MONEY nothing beats a free egg). Good luck on which way you go and if you need any price help pm me.
  • Eggcelsior
    @Firemanyz

Thanks! I have been in contact with Clarks and they are asking 799.99 for egg, nest, and PS. This is 50 bucks cheaper than my usual dealer. I'm in Frederick. I will give the guys in DE a call to see if it's worth my while. I can probably tour Dogfish Head too. The next closest fest is 749 so it's not worth the wait. I might do that rewards thing on egg mates.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Wow I am impressed with Costco return policy. Hard way to learn though. Glad you will be egging soon
    A Frednecker. Thought you only tipped cows :-))
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Firemanyz
    The store is teller wines in lewes. Their prices were with in a few dollars of Clark's prices last summer. Yes if you made the trip you could tour DFH as its about fifteen miles away.
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    edited April 2013
    I did the EXACT same thing a couple years ago. Luckily, I live only about an hour and a half from Atlanta, plus they gave me a great deal on a new dome. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1086953/#Comment_1086953
    Opelika, AL
  • Eggcelsior

Wow I am impressed with Costco return policy. Hard way to learn though. Glad you will be egging soon
    A Frednecker. Thought you only tipped cows :-))

@Austin_Egghead, you got family in these here parts?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Lived in Eldersburg for several years. Beautiful state. Merlin is one of the few states I would move back to. .new jersey, well that is another story:-)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    If you decide against Clark's the place in Gaithersburg was good to me, similar deal. And you can always hit the Dogfish on Clopper on your way back....sorry about the Egg but props to Costco for taking it back.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    JB Weld?  Fire box works, why not dome?
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Firemanyz
    Was wondering what have you done about your SITUATION.
  • Eggcelsior
    @Firemanyz

I plan on picking up a new egg tomorrow. Deciding on going large or whole hog(xl)
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Just needs some duct tape and JB weld.  Not the narrow gummy tape, but the wide, extra sticky, foil tape.

Where are all the haters from previous Coscto threads, who should be dumping on you for even considering returning a product to Coscto that you broke.

OTOH, I bet you're no longer satisfied with it.  :)
  • Eggcelsior
    edited April 2013
    @njl
    Based on JB weld ratings, it won't work for anything above 600 for 10 minutes or 500 for a sustained time. I do a lot of high heat cooks so it would handicap me. After reading that, my only options were to by a new dome or return the egg.

I don't know why anyone would hate on me. I walked into Costco, told them what happened, and they said "okay, no problem" and refunded my credit card. That's the great thing about them. This level of service is why I pay them $110/year(technically $28 since I had an $82 refund this year).

Fwiw, I was contemplating returning it do to the lack of accessories for it compared to the L and XL.

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    People have repaired fire boxes with JB weld and they have held up and thats in direct contact with the red hot lump.  I have seen many pics of this on the other forum.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Eggcelsior
    @B&BKnox
    I did too. Just no follow-up on durability. I couldn't get past the temp rating.