Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Successful Elder Ward Pulled Pork

I made pulled pork this weekend on my BGE and couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  So happy that I am making my first post!  It was 2 pork shoulders - 8.5lbs & 6.5lbs.  I followed the Elder Ward rub recipe and general cooking method.  I tried to follow his philosophy to setup correctly and then you can move on with you life while it cooks...unfortunately, I thought about it with total obsession.  Hopefully next time I will be a little more confident & can relax.

All rubbed up and ready to rest

Resting for 2 hours

Ready to go - 6:30PM on Friday

Done deal...12:30PM on Saturday - 18 hours @ 250 dome temp indirect

(what looks like a mouse on the grill is my pit thermometer clipped onto a lava rock)

I double wrapped them in extra strength foil 2 times and put them in a cooler for 2 hours.

Ready to pull @ 2:30PM

After pulling I mixed in a very light mixture of the The Traditional North Carolina Sauce & stock.

Ready to eat @ 3PM on Saturday

A delicious BGE pulled pork sammich - Add a cold beverage & the FL sunshine & you have the makings for a great weekend.

Comments

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    The Elder Ward publication on Nekkidwhiz.com is without a doubt the most informative publication I have ever read about butts and how to set up a BGE for a long, long low and slow cook. That article completely gave me the incite to understand how to control my ceramic cooker. He walks you through how to load your lump coal so as to NOT have to worry about your fire burning out for a long, long low and slow cook. I have to say as a BGE owner... That is the single most informative article I have ever read!!!
  • HogHeaven
    Oh... And by the way, your meteors look fabulous! That's how a butt is supposed to look when it is cooked low and slow. Good on ya man!
  • Looks awesome! Welcome aboard the forum!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Welcome! That's doing BBQ right!
  • Bravo!  Well done sir!  =D>
    Flint, Michigan
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Nice looking butts! Welcome to the zoo! Not much better than a pulled pork sandwich...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Welcome aboard-great cook!  It's a game changer.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great looking butts!  I had the same for dinner last night...minus the sunshine here in GA! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MattFoot
    MattFoot Posts: 1
    I totally agree HogHeaven - thank you to nekkidwhiz.com for such an amazing resource of a site and the great Elder Ward article!  It was only yesterday I accessed the charcoal database to make sure I was making the right decision in my grocery store.   :D
  • HogHeaven
    edited April 2013
    MattFoot said:
    I totally agree HogHeaven - thank you to nekkidwhiz.com for such an amazing resource of a site and the great Elder Ward article!  It was only yesterday I accessed the charcoal database to make sure I was making the right decision in my grocery store.   :D

My favorite website to learn about grilling, smoking and cooking in general is Amazingribs.com. If you want to learn everything there is to know about making your own BBQ sauce or you're own rubs and brines... He goes into deep deep detail on all subjects. Plus... If you have a question he will answer you within an hour or 2. I use both sites but I spend more time on Amazingribs than I do nekkidwhiz.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great cook! Nothing beats the bark, flavor and texture than pulled pork done lo n slo. Your backyard looks like the perfect place to down a few of those sammies.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Awesome job! Welcome to the cult.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    That is a great first post! =P~

I just read that method yesterday and it is a very well written article indeed.

The bark looks awesome, I've done a couple of butts on my small at 275 and while they are great the bark doesn't get as nice as that! =D>

Looking forward to more of your posts!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I love Big Butts!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you joined since meeting you at the Sunshine Eggfest! Confused why you didn't invite us over for some pulled pork though ;-)
    Dunedin, FL