Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control

Options
I did a 10# butt today and set everything up to go all day I thought. This is the second time now that I have had to add more lump part of the way through the cook, the fire is not completely out but the temp starts dropping considerably and won't rise back up. There is still some lump left in the firebox but it isn't burning. I started the fire with one bge fire starter. Am I not starting enough at the beginning? Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Middle Tennessee, large BGE. Go Big Orange!

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    What temp are you trying to cook at?
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    Options
    Are you starting with a clean firebox? Are you arranging the box with large blocks of lump on the bottom and filling in the gaps with medium and small pieces. Add your smoke in when filling the box - layers - I can get 16+ hours doing that.

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What lump are you using?  At 250 - 275 degrees, full firebox, 24 hours with lump left over is not uncommon.  I've had issues trying to cook below 250 with fire going out.  
    vol_fan Posts: 9
    Options
    I was keeping it around 250 at the grid. Yes took everything out and took the shop vac to it this morning before starting. I did not sort and layer the pieces though. Also it appears now that it will hopefully finish in the next couple of hours now finally. Will it hurt to put it in the oven at 170 or so to hold it after it's done til the morning? Just don't want to be up all night messing with it since I have work tomoro.
  • vol_fan
    Options
    Royal oak lump.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    As alluded to previously, your fire grate could be getting clogged up, no air flow no fire.  Some folks think it's a waste of time to arrange your lump with such care, but keeping the large chunks in the bottom, filling to the top of the fire ring and lighting 2 or even 3 spot always seemed to see me through.

I switched my fire grate out and feel better about just dumping lump in.  The downside is larger chunks get through, but loading up for a 20+ hr cook is pretty low maintenance.  I also use Wicked Good for long cooks...seems to be more dense and burns with great efficiency.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Help is on the way... I can cure your problem with 2 words... Elder Ward! Here's the magic cure. Google nekkidwhiz.com. And go to cooking butt's. Then read and study that article carefully. I gaurantee you will never, ever, have that problem again!
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    I always use three starters arranged like a triangle. Burns big time
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Did you fill the firebox to the ring or half way up the ring?
    You can load it right up so it almost hits the setter, start in one place at the front and let her go. Should last for hours as long as there is airflow. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options

The key is to gently stir the lump after you get it started.  I highly recommend a $8 electric starter. It's allow you to start a good amount of lump at the same time.  Then once you stir it, the lit lump slowly spreads in all directions.  I've never has a fire go out in literally hundreds of low and slows using this technique.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• vol_fan
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think my problem was not having enough lump and not starting enough at first. I thought if I started more than just a small amount it would get too hot. It still turned out great tho. Finally finished about midnight and pulled from the egg at 203 and then held in the oven at 170 til 5:30. Did it for my employees since I got a promotion and this was my last day with them, they all loved it. This site has been such a great resource for me since I started egging, I really appreciate all of the help and am amazed at the wealth of knowledge and willingness to spread it! Thanks again everybody.
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    Vol Fan - Where are you located? I am in Kville.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • vol_fan
    Options
    Philicious - grew up in Powell and now live in Cookeville. Love East Tennessee. I'm thinking about coming up for the O&W game this weekend but can't make up my mind.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Options
    It's all about airflow... The only way to put burning coal out, is to starve it of oxygen. Like Elder Ward said... Having those big pieces at the bottom is to block the small pieces from falling through and blocking the air holes. Having the medium pieces next - are there for the same reason... To prevent anything from blocking airflow. It's really pretty basic and simple. If you got oxygen, you got fire. That's why our BGE have 2 vents... Dah!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @vol_fan.... I'm in Murfreesboro. I need to get you a bag of Ozark Oak.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Save yourself a lot of headaches -- go turbo, the easy way to cook pulled pork!!