Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Dehydrators

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
Does anybody have one/use one? What are your thoughts on them?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I've had one for quite a few years.  In the past 5 or so years, I've only used it when I make my chili powder.  I use rehydrated chiles and so the powder is damp when I finish.  This gets them perfectly dry.  I used to use it to make jerky and dry herbs.

They're good if you have a reason to use them, and they're inexpensive.  Mine sits in the attic most of the time.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I found my Dad's old one & brought it home. I haven't used it yet, but I also found his beef jerky recipe. That's the real prize. I'll make it & if it measures up, I'll post it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    We use one all of the time to preserve fruits, herbs and veggies. Making Loquat fruit leather as we speak. I also dry chile peppers in the oven when we get overwhelmed with chiles later this summer. Have also tried smoking chile peppers in BGE. Takes some patience but they taste great.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    We use it a couple times per year. Our favorite thing to make in it is dried pineapple. Get them on sale and buy a bunch, dry them. Man I can devour that stuff like crazy.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I got one also, Got it for Xmas a few years ago and used it maybe 6 times, Made Jerky on it a few times and done fruit a few times as well.

Pineapple dusted with DP is like candy.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    I have not used mine in a while. I did deer and beef jerking and all kinda of fruit watermelon, apples, kiwi, pineapple, bananas you name it.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2013

Yes, the egg makes a great dehydrator!  I do Jerky regularly at about 165 on the egg (with the help of my DigiQ to keep that steady low temp).   At that temp, your drying, not cooking, and creates a nice texture.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2013
    we have two use to use them all the time mainly for doing jerky we have done fruits and herbs but the bulk of it was jerky . but like others haven't touched them in years . a friend of mine has the big  one from cabelas and loves it looks like a mini frig.

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    heres a pic of it from the cabela's site 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I have one. The guy from the commercials. It's ok. My buddy has a Exaclibur. It's badass. His jerky comes out much better with it. I forget name of one I have, but it's a cheap plastic one. Guy on it is famous infomercial guy. Exaclibur is great tho. Really great
    Boom
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I just ordered this one http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/product?cid=&id=714059
    Same as the one posted above. Been reading about doing Salmon in it. Anyone done that? I am expecting to be catching ALOT come August.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    edited April 2013
    I have one. The guy from the commercials. It's ok. My buddy has a Exaclibur. It's badass. His jerky comes out much better with it. I forget name of one I have, but it's a cheap plastic one. Guy on it is famous infomercial guy. Exaclibur is great tho. Really great
    Ronco? 

I have a 9-tray Excalibur. Haven't used it lately but used to make jerky, dried apple, tomatoes. It's nice but I hate switching/rotating the trays because the top and bottom dry slower than the centre.  When I do jerky it's first couple of hours in the egg to pick up the smoke, then finished off in the dehydrator when more frequently monitoring is required.

Would love to have a cebalas.
    canuckland
  • I have an Excalibur. Very good. You can dehydrate large amounts or small amounts. I use it mostly for dehydrating spaghetti sauce, salsa, refried beans, ground beef, corn, mushrooms, and other backpacking type foods.

Check out BWCA.com website for dehydrator information. Lots of folks their dehydrate meals for canoe trips.

FYI, dehydrators are noisy heat producers. I put mine in an area away from the main living area. Would not want it in the kitchen, especially in warmer climates.
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387

I use one for jerky, and have done some dried fruit, will do some herbs this summer. Its works pretty good.

imageimage
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Ronco? 

I have a 9-tray Excalibur. Haven't used it lately but used to make jerky, dried apple, tomatoes. It's nice but I hate switching/rotating the trays because the top and bottom dry slower than the centre.  When I do jerky it's first couple of hours in the egg to pick up the smoke, then finished off in the dehydrator when more frequently monitoring is required.

Would love to have a cebalas.
    Yup, Ronco
    Boom