Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken thigh help!!!

doing some bone in chicken thighs tonite, first time so looking for some tips and hints!! temp time spice that sort of thing! any help would be great!!

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited April 2013
    I normally do bone out, marinated overnight in Italian dressing, raised direct at 300 - 400F dome, flip 'em once, takes around 20 minutes to get IT up to 160F or so, a little longer with bone in. In lieu of the dressing use your rub of choice. The dressing is the thing, though, and an hour or two marinating will do. Direct will get you a little char if you're up toward 400F dome, if you don't like char go indirect around 300F. Whether to add a little smoke or not is a personal choice at this point.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Marinate in teriyaki.  Direct, raised grid, at 400.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I really like the off-the-shelf McCormick mojito lime rub for chicken thighs and wings. Maybe a little brining first, then the shake, and you are good to go on raised direct.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited April 2013
    Almost impossible to mess up. Skin on, skinless, bone in, boned, all can easily turn out great.

Assuming skin on, bone in thighs. Cut off excess fat. Mostly just to keep the inside of the Egg cleaner.

Loosen the skin by running a finger under it. Blot it dry. Dust on a little corn starch. Minimum seasoning for me is S&P and some paprika. I like some added ginger and lemon grass powder. Sometimes work various herbs under the skin. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours so the skin dries.

The skin needs some time at 450F to become crisp. I usually cook direct, raised at 350F dome, Skin up for about 15 minutes. Then flip, and cook for an additional 10. Then Flip, and raise the temp to 450F. Usually takes about another 10 min, but I do watch and take temperature so as not to get the meat over 180. Usually get crisp skin w. meat by the time the meat reaches 160.

It also works to start w. skin down at 450, and then continue at a lower temp. I've had good results, but also some burnt skin that way.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Darned site won't accept pics from me now, does that from time to time.  When I can I'll post my last batch.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Soak in allegro hot and spicy for 2 hrs and cook raised direct till 185 internal temp. Brush with bone sucking sauce or blues hog 15 min before you take them off.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498

thanks everyone for the input! gonna marinade in teryaki then grid direct at 350. hope they turn out! masters coverage starts soon,beer time!! thanks again!

=D>
  • daffy1909
    Soak in allegro hot and spicy for 2 hrs and cook raised direct till 185 internal temp. Brush with bone sucking sauce or blues hog 15 min before you take them off.

the wife doesn't like hot stuff, but i do, definatly will try this one next time!! thanks travis
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Don't marinade too long. Doc I think does overnight. I do a few hrs. Find a sweet spot in between.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Next time you can conside "Cup Cake Thighs"....
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Daffy... I cook bone in, skin on, thighs often. I cook with direct heat, no platesetter. I put my grid on top of the fire ring, dome temp 400. I start the cook skin down to get the skin to crisp as much as possible. It takes about 40 minutes total so I leave the skin down for the first 25 minutes. Then I turn them and start basting them with my magic sauce. Here is my recipe for chicken thighs. I got it originally to cook pork chops and it was so good on pork chops i figured why not on chicken thighs? With the pork chops I use the dipping sauce too. I don't bother with the dipping sauce with the thighs. I recommend that you cook your thighs to 185 degrees. They peel off the bone easier that way. Breasts are done at 160 but the thighs are dark meat and need to be cooked longer. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-mongolian-pork-chops/detail.aspx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    the family likes boneless stuffed with artichoke hearts, spinach and provolone....wib
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Travis is right, Allegro Hot & Spicy is one of the best marinades around.  Darned site still won't let me post pics of my teriyaki cook.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

The next time you do chicken try this home made Italian dressing, it's better than any bottle stuff I've tried.

Home made Italian dressing for marinating chicken.

• 2 Tbl Ground mustard
    • 2 smashed garlic cloves
    • 1 Tbl red pepper flakes
    • 1 Tbl sugar
    • 1/2 tsp dry basil
    • 1/2 tsp dry oregano
    • 2 Tbl DP Raging River
    • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    • 1 cup EVOO
    • Mix everthing together except the EVOO and then stir and drizzle the vinegar in. Marinate chicken overnight.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • daffy1909
    thighs turned out great!!! they were a little smaller that i thought but good!!!! heres a pic of the finnished product! thanks for the help evey1!!! >:D< image
  • Charlie tuna
    Very nice-- small chicken parts are hard to come by with all this steroids pumped into them-great cook!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Looks fantastic Duffy... Good cook.
  • Am I the only one who takes dark meat to 195? 

I think lower temps are a bit under done and chewy. When I get the temps up higher, especially finishing with FTC, the meat falls off the bone.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Am I the only one who takes dark meat to 195? 

I think lower temps are a bit under done and chewy. When I get the temps up higher, especially finishing with FTC, the meat falls off the bone.
    I think it's the same thing as sliced pork vs pulled pork. It's still done, but the collagen isn't fully converted so it is tender but not falling apart.
  • Charlie tuna
    I agree on the upper finish temperature on thighs, it seems much more tender and never drys out.
  • Cookin thighs today. Thanks for the great posts.  Egg newby so I need all the help I can get!
    EggstraSmoke