Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs Idea, What you think?

Alton
Alton Posts: 509
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Took off today to watch the Master's and have some me time. Planning on smoking 2racks of ribs..rather than using a store bought rub, I'm thinking simple salt , pepper and garlic powder. Then spritzing them with a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and bourbon. I plan on using a blend of pecan and apple wood for the smoke. Going to sauce one rack and leave on dry. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Good for you Alton. I'll be home watching the Master most of the day as well. As far as the ribs...I have grown to love the flavor a good rub gives them but I used to do something similar and they were great. I would use pepper and garlic (no salt) and spritz with a combo of 1 part honey, 1 part bourbon & 3 parts sprite. They were great. So if your looking for an alternative to the rub flavor, go with your plan...or a combo of both. Enjoy! Go Boom Boom Couples....wouldn't that be awesome if he won???
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've done the same mix, but w. a little sugar and a dash of cayenne added. Worked just fine for some exceptionally meaty spares.

The spritz should add a lot, altho' I'd have trouble giving the bourbon to the ribs. I've been using sharper vinegars, like sherry and champagne, and a 2 year old bottle of Bragg's apple cider vinegar w. mother. I like the boost.
  • egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    I have become a great fan of the combination of pecan and apple wood.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Sounds good, I would also add a little Turbinado sugar and celery seed to your rub.

• zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    I like some rosemary on mine...yum
    XL BGE
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    +1 on the sugar. I used 1 part sugar, 1 part black pepper and 2 parts kosher salt for years until I got into Mickey's coffee rub. The sugar caramelizes to make a healthier bark. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia