Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Caster HELP!!!

So just finished building my BGE XL table... used Cedar 4x4's for legs but can not find Casters that have a mounting plate that fit, all the plates are slightly too wide since 4x4's are really 3.5x3.5, all the plates seem to be 3"3/4 or 3"5/8... I am worried if I used one of these that are slightly too wide, the screws will be too close to the edge of the post... plus it wont look nice.  I am putting Granite on it so need at least 200lb load per caster.  I have checked HD, Lowes, Caster City, Fastenal, Harbour Freight and goggled it like crazy with no luck.

Praying someone has an answer!  I had bought a set of really nice casters but forgot to check them up against the posts before I built :(

Comments

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited April 2013
    Have you checked grainger? You will need to either use someone with a business to buy from them or just make up a fake business. I guarantee you will find what you need with them. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/casters-and-wheels/material-handling/ecatalog/N-cnm?xi=xi
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I may be wrong, but Harbor Freight has a cast iron one that might be what you are looking for.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Woodcraft has some on sale for 30% off. I bought some 2-1/2" but may get some larger ones to raise everything up to mabe counter height.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    you could run a 2x4 on the inside bottom of the legs. will not look bad and it'll give you enough room
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    be sure to fire treat the wood before applying a finish
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Henapple, what type of product are you using to fire treat the wood? Is it food safe?

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• henapple
    yes. just Google wood fire preventer and you'll find several. it's a clear liquid that can be stained over. I've used it at work... can't hurt. call Sherwin Williams. If you can't, pm me.
  • thanks for all the feedback... I may have found some at Grainger!  they are rated 176lbs with a 3x3 plate.  They are swivel but unfortunately no lock... is that a problem?

Also for weight, 176lbs wheels gives me a total of 704lbs... I think i am good as bge xl is 240lbs, granite is 64"x 34" @ 18lbs/sq foot= 271lbs... this totals 512lbs.  I dont think my 60x32" cedar table will weigh 192lbs...   Do you think these wheels will be ok?

• thanks for all the feedback... I may have found some at Grainger!  they are rated 176lbs with a 3x3 plate.  They are swivel but unfortunately no lock... is that a problem?

Also for weight, 176lbs wheels gives me a total of 704lbs... I think i am good as bge xl is 240lbs, granite is 64"x 34" @ 18lbs/sq foot= 271lbs... this totals 512lbs.  I dont think my 60x32" cedar table will weigh 192lbs...   Do you think these wheels will be ok?

found same set that lock!
  • Before you buy, check out Castercity.com. You can get a good set of stainless casters that do not have a mounting plate, but can be mounted by removing the wheels, and using a 1/2" x 2-1/2" lag bolt to center the 4x4. Rated for 250# each, and will give your table about a 1K# capacity. Casters cost about a 100.00 for a set of 4 ea.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Get at least two locking ones for your drunken party guests

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    What I did was use the post-style casters.  You can get them at Home Depot that are rated 200lbs each.  Then, buy some steel tubing also at HD, and have them cut it in the plumbing department into 4 inch pcs.   Drill out an equally sized hole in the bottom of the 4x4 legs and tap the tubing into place.  This will hold your casters.

Worked for me like a champ.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • henapple
    smart...
  • I used 4x4 for legs and bolted a 2x4 to it. the caster holes are no where near the edge. It doesn't look like crap, just beefy!
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Before you buy, check out Castercity.com. You can get a good set of stainless casters that do not have a mounting plate, but can be mounted by removing the wheels, and using a 1/2" x 2-1/2" lag bolt to center the 4x4. Rated for 250# each, and will give your table about a 1K# capacity. Casters cost about a 100.00 for a set of 4 ea.
    I realize that this is an old post but the issue still exist for any one in the future building an Egg table with 4x4 Cedar or other wood species.

I am not disagreeing with the above quote but heed my warning and advise below.

I too called Castercity, highly recommend them by the way, they also recommended using a center bolt caster and using a 1/2 inch lag bolt that will screw up into the center of the post.

I did that exactly and after the third time rolling the table into the garage the caster hit an expansion joint in the concrete forcing the caster to stay put while the 300+lb table continued moving forward.  The end result was a split up the leg 10" + in length.  I fixed it by gluing the split area back together. Dodged a bullet there!

After that was fixed and the "Great Big XL Green Egg" was rolled about 4 more times the Egg table came to a sudden stop.  One of the casters directly under the egg came off due to the lag bold getting stripped out. "Shut the Front Door" How in the "Farfegnugen" am I going to pick up that Big hotdog cookin table and fix that? After jacking the table up with a floor jack, cause it's heeeaaavy, I found that two of the lug bolts were just wallering (if that's a word) out the hole that they were screwed into.

My fix was to use the center hole casters and build my own plate.  I got a steel plate and cut 4 plates that would fit the 4x4 post then drilled 5 holes into each plate.  1 hole in each of the 4 corners on each plate and on 1/2" hole in the middle of each plate.  I then used 1/2" bolt, nut and lock washer to attach the new plate to the caster and 3" wood screws to attach that plate to the bottom of the 4x4 plate.  Since I already had a hole in the 4x4 leg it was harder to bore the hole larger for the bolt to go up into.  So using a spade bit at first would have been easier.

This was by far the better solution for me, so I recommend this method to those that cannot find a heavy duty caster with a plate small enough to fit a 4x4.

Maybe on the Large or smaller you'd not have this issue, but for the XL it is hard to find casters , that will hold the weight of egg plus table, granite stone and eggcessories, with a plate that fits a standard 3.4 x 3.5 post for a leg.
  • mbg
    mbg Posts: 14
    So just finished building my BGE XL table... used Cedar 4x4's for legs but can not find Casters that have a mounting plate that fit, all the plates are slightly too wide since 4x4's are really 3.5x3.5, all the plates seem to be 3"3/4 or 3"5/8... I am worried if I used one of these that are slightly too wide, the screws will be too close to the edge of the post... plus it wont look nice.  I am putting Granite on it so need at least 200lb load per caster.  I have checked HD, Lowes, Caster City, Fastenal, Harbour Freight and goggled it like crazy with no luck.

Praying someone has an answer!  I had bought a set of really nice casters but forgot to check them up against the posts before I built :(
    Might be too late but I just completed my table (80"x32" w/ granite) and I used the 3-1/2" orange wheel casters from Woodcraft. I have lots of heavy woodworking machines o these in my garage/shop and these are the best. If the casters with the plate don't fit what I did was buy some casters with the 1/2" threaded studs and bought some plates with 1/2" female threaded holes that are about 2" square and fastened them the the posts (PM me if you need info on these plates).

Mike