Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Built a Table

I have zero woodworking skills but I wanted to build a table on my own, so I set out to do this which also included buying a few tools like a miter saw and a jigsaw.  I actually modified the plans I found on the Grill Dome website to build this table...

I used pressure treated lumber.  The first lesson I learned here as a novice woodworker is to let the wood dry for a couple weeks before cutting it to keep shrinkage from being an issue.  I'll know that next time...

I started out by assembling the bottom deck...

Then I attached the 4x4 legs.  (After assembly was complete, I came back to these joints and added 3/8" carriage bolts through these joints for added strength on the table.)

Next step was installing the wheels and axle.  I used a 36" piece of 5/8" threaded rod and two pneumatic 10" tires from Harbor Freight.  The legs on this side of the table are 1 1/2" shorter than the other legs and the axle hole is centered 3 1/2" up from the base of these shorter legs...

Next step was assembling the frame for the table top...

Then installing the table top boards... (I went back after the fact and straightened up the edge here to make it even across the side...)

The jigsaw made quick work of the hole for the grill...

Finished up with a nice coat of Cabot's Australian Timber Oil (Mahagony Flame).  This table will not sit out in the rain.  I'll be able to keep it under my awning and out of the direct weather...

I made a handle for the end with a couple half inch floor flanges, street elbows, and a 24" piece of black pipe.  I cleaned these, primed, and painted with rustoleum... 

I invited my girlfriend's dad and brother over to help me move the grill into the table.  That only cost me a brisket dinner :) 

I started with these plans:

http://www.grilldome.com/Files/LargeWoodTablePlans.pdf

I modified a few dimensions to fit my grill.  The hole diameter and the distance from the top of the bottom shelf to the top of the table top... 

This project was fun for me and I learned a lot while doing it.  It was an easy enough project for a beginner :)

Comments

• Looks nice but based on other threads and advice you may want to consider some Firebrick under the egg
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    I agree with jimfastcar.  Not enough heat protection under your cooker.  Great job on the table though.  I love the stain color.

Living Large and XL

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    for having no wood working skills it looks damn good. if you need a gap or fire brick( which you do) just lower the bottom shelf. should be easy enough. nice job.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    As said, you're gonna need something underneath it. Problem is you may have to lower the bottom shelf in order to add enough protection without raising it up. Great job and nice looking table!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I think the lowering of the shelf for a paver is not the problem. The problem is it's gonna cost him another brisket!  :D
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    That looks great!  I agree from what I have seen you will probably want a paver or something to protect the wood under the egg.

Just a question for the group...could you add a paver and just let the egg sit a little higher?  Are there concerns about it being too top heavy; or just for appearance?

What about the table nest as another option:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Even using a table nest, I wouldn't want it to be directly over wood.  It may be OK, but why take the chance.  I've got mine on a nest with a ceramic tile undeneath.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Great job! Love the stain.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    I thought about the paver also and did a little research.  I actually plan to test this table out for heat under the grill.  I cooked a brisket on it Saturday night but I worked at 250 degrees for the entire cook.  Later I ramped it up to 375/400 for a dish of mac and cheese.  There is no visible sign of heat damage yet.  I have a 1" gap between the base of the grill and the table.  I believe that will probably be enough to keep the table surface from ever reaching a temp above 150-175 degrees.  I'll still monitor it especially when I do a hotter cook.
  • Oh, by the way, great looking table.  All you people say you have no skill and post beautiful pictures of your tables.  I'm jealous, because I truly do not have the woodworking skills, but I do like my table.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Too risky... You got to get a paver or table nest, I wouldn't risk it.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Great job. Still ucing the nest but wish to move to a table at some time. Thanks for the plans
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Oh, by the way, great looking table.  All you people say you have no skill and post beautiful pictures of your tables.  I'm jealous, because I truly do not have the woodworking skills, but I do like my table.
    This was my first project ever that involved cutting wood and putting it together.  A picnic table is next on the agenda...
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Your's is just what I need.I've send my son the woodworker a email on this.Is that an XL egg?Was wondering cause that's the size I'm planning on getting.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    @sticks88

It looks like XL Kamado Joe
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JMSetzler said:
    I thought about the paver also and did a little research.  I actually plan to test this table out for heat under the grill.  I cooked a brisket on it Saturday night but I worked at 250 degrees for the entire cook.  Later I ramped it up to 375/400 for a dish of mac and cheese.  There is no visible sign of heat damage yet.  I have a 1" gap between the base of the grill and the table.  I believe that will probably be enough to keep the table surface from ever reaching a temp above 150-175 degrees.  I'll still monitor it especially when I do a hotter cook.

Why take the chance ?  Call me paranoid........

• Looks good and useable
    :-/

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727