Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Weekend Cooks

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Such a nice weekend here in Texas, more so Saturday than Sunday, but still nice. Had to work this weekend, but only half days so I still got to enjoy it.

Saturday night it was gras fed steaks, four cheese stuffed mushrooms and a salad. Trying to be healthier. Doc says to eat grass fed for a bunch of reasons. I wasn't impressed. But the mushrooms were amazing. Somehow no pics of the steaks on the grill, but look at those 'shrooms.

You know you want to try one. Some proof there was some steak involved. And a salad. And some Lone Star Bock.

Sunday wasn't as nice out. Wind started blowing bringing a bit of chill to the air, but not to bad. Still had on flip flops and a t-shirt. :) We wanted to do chicken legs. Store was out. So whole chicken. Chicken was frozen. Finally settled on chicken breasts. Not my favorite.

Somehow some jalapeno cheese venison sausage found its way on the grill

And some more four-cheese stuffed mushrooms

This alternate style of eating ain't so hard. Not until I get on here Monday morning and see things like @cortguitarman deep dish pizza. I can do it. Be strong. Hope everybody else had a good weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks great Griff!  Those shrooms look out of site.  What went in them?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Your blog post for those mushrooms just went into my "Food" bookmark folder, which has grown significantly since I started browsing this forum.  I'll definitely try these mushrooms once I get my BGE.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Griffin
    @SmokeyPitt - Monterey Jack Cheese, parmesan cheese, low fat ricotta, fresh spinach, garlic, re-hyrdated sun-dried tomatoes and topped with low fat feta cheese. I think next time we do them, I might add some bacon cuz you know what they say about bacon. ;)  Recipe is on the blog.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Griffin What did you not like about the beef? It does cook differently than "regular" beef and can be an acquired taste for some. I actually prefer it for most things compared to the "regular" stuff. More beefy flavor comes out in dishes for me, but I know tastes can differ.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Sorry, Griffin. If it makes you feel better, I was supposed to run 5 miles for my 10k training, but instead made pizza, drank a beer, and 2 glasses of red wine. My will power sucks. You'll be back to making pies in no time.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Nice looking cooks.  FWIW I don't care for grass fed beef either, but growing up in Nebraska I have had a steady diet of corn fed my whole life.  At pretty much any given time here there are more cattle in our feed lots then there are humans in the state.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I was looking for something to add to my chicken tonight and I think I will do those shrooms. I do love some fungus.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Looks great Griffin.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks like some good meals, it was a great weekend here in Oklahoma too the eggs got lots of action. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Great looking cooks! I loved stuffed mushrooms. And im jealous of the T and flips, cant wait...
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Griffin
    @Griffin What did you not like about the beef? It does cook differently than "regular" beef and can be an acquired taste for some. I actually prefer it for most things compared to the "regular" stuff. More beefy flavor comes out in dishes for me, but I know tastes can differ.
    It just seemed tough and bland. I'm not going to give up on it, just going to try a different source.

Rowlett, Texas

• was it labeled 100% grass fed? 
    if not it was grain finished at the end, and to me it ruins the whole idea of grass fed. i love the grassy earthy flavor, but i can understand not liking something you are not used to.
  • Griffin
    Yep. 100% grass fed. Doc doesn't want me eating beef that was grain fed. Something about long branch chain amino acids or something like that. I wrote it down, but its at home.

Rowlett, Texas

• hmm, ok.  what cut of steak was it? 
  • Griffin
    One was a strip, the other was a sirloin (maybe). Can't remember the second one really. They were both on the small side.

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Gotta try those 'shrooms. It was a lovely weekend down here in Houston too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:
    Yep. 100% grass fed. Doc doesn't want me eating beef that was grain fed. Something about long branch chain amino acids or something like that. I wrote it down, but its at home.
    He must want you eating short-chain and medium-chain FA. I would recommend that you look around for local farmers with 100% GF beef. I can get it at my local grocer as well, but it sometimes varies(I think it relates to the sourcing). If you have a Whole Paycheck nearby, they should have some too.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Looks marvelicious, @Griffin!  Nice job....gonna give these shrooms a go.  They better be good, or else.  b-(
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Those shrooms look awesome griffin!! I am going to check out your blog and steal some recipes ! Thanks bro!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Newbbqer
    Newbbqer Posts: 78
    Ok, where's your blog? I absolutely have to try those shrooms! They look fantastic
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Same here. Look below his post and click on "Griffin's Grub".
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Those shrooms look amazing, and I would absolutely kill for some of that venison sausage!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited April 2013
    Definitely doing those mushrooms. And you are correct, grass fed beef has a different mouth feel and taste than grain fed beef. Don't give up on grass fed beef, just pick your cuts carefully.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Newbbqer said:
    Ok, where's your blog? I absolutely have to try those shrooms! They look fantastic
    If you are viewing this site on a mobile device, signatures don't show up.  Griffin's blog is here:  http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Newbbqer
    Thank you dpittard!  Bravo to you Griffin, awesome blog!!!!  Cant wait to try those shrooms and look deeper into your blog.
  • Griffin

Thanks @dpittard for pointing the way. Been busy all day at work and this is the first time I checked.

Thanks @Newbbqer. Hope it helps out and gives you some new ideas. I've learned so much from various forums over the years that has made me a better cook. Some of those recipes were "borrowed", some learned from others advice and some made up. It's just my way of giving back something after getting back so much from others over the years. Plus it helps me keep track of my cooks in one organized place so I can duplicate them when I want to repeat them. Sort of an electronic notebook for me.

Rowlett, Texas

• Love those pics, food looks wonderful. Have to try those mushrooms.
  • Newbbqer
    So I just made these fantastic mushrooms. WOW, They are everything I thought they'd be and more.