Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on the Rocks With a Twist et al (lot of pix)

I committed to cooking at @Owossoegger 's cooking event at Owosso's farmer's market on June 15th.  My Mom wanted to check out what I'm cooking, but she's going on vacation soon.  So I took my small and mini to Mom's house and fired up!  I cooked two appetizers first before jacking up the heat for tortilla pizza.  On the mini, I cooked Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps by Paula Deen (recipe available on www.foodnetwork.com).  It's cubed chicken breast wrapped in bacon and covered in a mixture of brown sugar and chili powder.  It's a great dish and I've done them in the oven a number of times with great success, but this is the first time on the Egg.  They were pretty good, but the brown sugar/chili powder coating didn't stick too well.  Here's a couple of pix:

On the small, I loaded it up with Magnum Loads by Spring Chicken.  I found that recipe in the collection from the 2012 Georgia Mountain Eggfest (Googled it).  Basically its sausage stuffed with a cocktail weinie wrapped in ground sausage thats wrapped in bacon.  They were good!  I had a bit of a grease fire so if I cook these, I'll have to really watch that.  My teenaged daughter was taking the pix for me on her ipad because I forgot my camera.  We only got one pic of the Magnum Loads.

Now for the tortilla pizzas!  I topped off the eggs with lump and opened them up!  The toppings were pepperoni, sausage from the Magnum Loads, bell peppers, onion and mozzerella.  They were very good.  Here's how they looked in the Eggs:

On the mini 

On the Small:

The last menu item was a dessert tortilla pizza.  The toppings were Nutella, sliced fresh strawberries and lightly sprinkled with sweetened coconut.  By far the most popular thing I cooked.  Here's the pix:

On the small:

On the Mini:

The tortilla pizzas were the best things I cooked that day and if I'm cooking one dish at the farmer's market, that will be it.  If I need to cook two dishes, then I think I need to keep searching.

Here's the twist I promised.  I lit the mini and the small at the same time and the lump was out of the same bag of WG.  Both Eggs are equipped with High-Que grates.  The mini outperformed the small by a wide margin!  The mini heat up faster and I had to really choke down the lower vent while cooking the appetizers to keep it from taking off.  The small struggled to go above 450 even with the lower vent wide open.  I don't know why it happened.   

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Exactly why I am getting the mini. I cooked on a small a few weeks ago and was not as impressed with the performance as I was with the mini when I tried it. Food looks great Fred. I like the write up too. We do nutella pies too. I do mine on pita though.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    That looks really good - I'm surprised how much the tortilla expands during cooking. Is it just a normal tortilla I can get at the grocery? What temp do you use? I'd definitely like to try this.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited April 2013
    ddegger said:
    That looks really good - I'm surprised how much the tortilla expands during cooking. Is it just a normal tortilla I can get at the grocery? What temp do you use? I'd definitely like to try this.

Ha, ha, ha!  They don't expand.  One photo is taken of the tortilla that was cooking on the small BGE and another is of the same size tortilla cooking in the mini on a smaller stone!  Darn!  I forgot magicians aren't supposed to tell how the trick is done.  Forget what I said.  It's magic!

(EDIT)  Pizza is something you cook on high heat.  If you ask 10 eggheads what;s the best temp to cook pizza, you would probably get a handfull of different answers.  I usually shoot for 600.  @ddegger - Try these.  You will enjoy them!

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wow! The mini is an app cooking machine. I think I need to go convince SWMBO that we NEED a mini now.

What size pizza stones do you use for the mini? I heard that the ones from Amazon might be a touch small. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • @caliking - As I recall, Amazon sells a couple two stone packages that fit the mini.  8" and 8.5".  Those are 8.5".  I bought the mini as a "fill-in" when my back is too sore to lift the small.  It's no longer a "fill-in".
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great, and some perfect food to show how its done at the farmers market! =D>
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Everything looks great Fred, gotta try the dessert pizza
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Haws72688
    Haws72688 Posts: 41
    Have to say I'm definitely getting more excited for @Owossoegger 's cooking event.

Looks great!
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    caliking said:
    Wow! The mini is an app cooking machine. I think I need to go convince SWMBO that we NEED a mini now.

What size pizza stones do you use for the mini? I heard that the ones from Amazon might be a touch small. 
    I saw on cabelas website---- (4) 8" pizza stones for $24.00. Anyone try theirs?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    @caliking - As I recall, Amazon sells a couple two stone packages that fit the mini.  8" and 8.5".  Those are 8.5".  I bought the mini as a "fill-in" when my back is too sore to lift the small.  It's no longer a "fill-in".
    Great cook. Funny, I have trouble keep the temp of my small down without the DW on top. Not sure why our would cook so differently. Anyway, where did you get your stone for the small?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Great post and great food, Fred. Thanks for sharing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Great looking food! My sister in law makes the Paula Deen chicken bacon wraps in the oven for special occasions. They are always good. Bet they tasted even better off the egg.
  • Man o man, those all look great @fred19flintstone.  I think the dessert pizza will be a hit.  ill have to try those this weekend!

@haws72688, its going to be fun with obvious killer food!!
  • Hi54putty said:
    @caliking - As I recall, Amazon sells a couple two stone packages that fit the mini.  8" and 8.5".  Those are 8.5".  I bought the mini as a "fill-in" when my back is too sore to lift the small.  It's no longer a "fill-in".
    Great cook. Funny, I have trouble keep the temp of my small down without the DW on top. Not sure why our would cook so differently. Anyway, where did you get your stone for the small?

@Hi54putty - I'm not sure what the problem was.  Maybe the firebox shifted during transport and the opening was not centered on the bottom vent?  That seems far fetched to me, but I have no other idea what could have happened.  It never acted like that before.

About the stones, I got them from CGS when I ordered the woo.  They are outstanding!

Fred (not a paid product endorser of or recipient of free stuff from CGS) 

Flint, Michigan
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    ddegger said:

Ha, ha, ha!  They don't expand.  One photo is taken of the tortilla that was cooking on the small BGE and another is of the same size tortilla cooking in the mini on a smaller stone!  Darn!  I forgot magicians aren't supposed to tell how the trick is done.  Forget what I said.  It's magic!

(EDIT)  Pizza is something you cook on high heat.  If you ask 10 eggheads what;s the best temp to cook pizza, you would probably get a handfull of different answers.  I usually shoot for 600.  @ddegger - Try these.  You will enjoy them!

cool - thanks!  I've rocked some pizzas already but haven't tried the dessert pizza or the tortilla pizza.  I think that's on the menu tomorrow!