Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MAP torch question

Do MAP torches have a tendency to extinguish themselves when the nozzle is lowered into the egg during lighting? I bought a propane torch when I originally purchased my large egg but can't use it to light the coals because the flame goes out as soon as I point it downwards. I've been using the oil & napkin trick to get by but would like to get the coals started quicker if possible.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I have the same propane torch. There is a difference between propane and MAPP. go get a large propane can and a weed burner. You will be much happier.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Be sure and get the one with a hose (look at one on right side under table). I use the big one for the Large and the MAP for the Mini now. Don't even ask why I no longer use the big one for the Mini. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    @Mickey - I honestly love how often, and at appropriate times this picture has made it's way into threads.

I've also gone to a big propane torch lighter for my LBGE.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Mickey is my mentor!  I use a hose-type MAP torch for both my large and mini.  Just don't have the stones to use a big weed burner!

#:-S
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I use the Bernzamatic ts8000.  No problems at any angle.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mickey
    @Greeno55 I need a pic of just the to starters.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    I use a weed burner. there is something extraordinarily satisfying about lighting a pile of charcoal at 1500 degrees in thirty seconds.  Plus, i always look around for ant piles for a bit of righteous indignation...

• Mickey

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    If you use propane it will always go out when you turn it upside down. Those fatboys/MAPS won't unless the gas starts getting low I have found.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have this one as well and agree...no problems at any angle.  You push the button...the thing lights...every time and it stays lit until you let go :)
    dlk7 said:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615

I have this one as well and agree...no problems at any angle.  You push the button...the thing lights...every time and it stays lit until you let go :)

dlk7 said:

I also use this and no issues. Won't be using the napkin/oil thing ever again. And the tanks last a long time
    Boom
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I use the weed burner......more coverage and cheaper in the long run.

The MAPP torch scares me.  You drop that or mishandle it, you're going to the hospital or will be calling the fire dept.  Those suckers are about 5000F if memory serves......propane is 2000-3000F?

Due to the higher temps, I always got a lot more sparks and popping in the charcoal as well.  So, I stick with the propane torch, and wear safety glasses when I do so.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Propane works fine you just have to be careful about sticking it deep in the coals, I use one that I have had forever to light my small and I just hold it right above the coals and light it in two spots or three if I am doing pizza. I wouldn't leaving it sitting in my egg or prop it up by itself because I would rather not have it get out of control. Propane is perfectly fine to use Mapp just burns hotter so it might save 10-20 seconds but that is it. Different style torches work at better angles so maybe you could just switch nozzles. I use a looftlighter to light my large egg and love it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    My Bernzomatic TS3000 propane torch does go out occasionally when lighting the coals if I have it tipped at a certain angle.. But it's not every time I use it.  I've considered getting a weed burner since I still have some propane tanks from the old gas smoker..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • stlcharcoal
    Solson005 said:
     I use a looftlighter to light my large egg and love it. 

For anyone that doesn't want to drop the $80 on that thing, the $15 heat gun from Harbor Freight has a higher wattage and temp.  I like how the looftlighter is longer and has the metal guards around it--probably safer than the heat gun if you're going to have it down in the egg as the fire starts.  Looks cool......$80 buys a lots of other toys though.

• tinee2001
    tinee2001 Posts: 19
    Thanks for all the input! Looks like I may just need to upgrade nozzle to a TS8000 (the one I bought was an off brand and pretty cheap).
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    How long do y'all hold it in each spot to light them up? Just for one for my bday and haven't had a chance to use it yet?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • I use 2 oz of 91% rubbing alcohol, wait 30 seconds and light with a match. Nothing easier.
    Joe
  • stlcharcoal
    edited April 2013
    tamu2009 said:
    How long do y'all hold it in each spot to light them up? Just for one for my bday and haven't had a chance to use it yet?

With MAPP or propane?

I just wait until the coals are glowing.....usually 5-10 seconds or so with the propane weed burner, or just few seconds with the MAPP.  Hit it in a few different spots and you'll be good to go in 5-10 minutes.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    tamu2009 said:
    I hold it for about 30 seconds in a single spot, but I don't put it right up to the lump straight away.  I hold it back a ways and gradually move it toward the lump.  I find it sparks/pops less this way if you light it a little more gradually. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I hit 2-6 spots for 10-30 seconds, holding about 1/4 inch above. Depends what I'm cooking and how hot I want to get.
    Boom