Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My fires all grow predominately on the back side of my egg (away from the vent)

Options
What am I doing wrong?  Each cook I stir up the old lump and flush the ash through to the bottom. I then add new lump on top and generally use one SureStart Firelighting Square - torn into 4 pieces.  I put one piece at the 12/3/6/9 oclock positions in the lump and light all 4.  Vent open, top open until the fire gets going.  Generally 10 minutes or so.  But inevitably the fire is almost entirely in the top part of the egg away from the vent, even though I also used the starters towards the bottom of the egg (closer to the vent).  What's the deal with this?

Comments

• Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong. The back is generally going to get hotter. I'm sure it has to do with the airflow pattern.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yep. Normal.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have a Large with a HighQ. I do like you, stir,add new lump but I use 2 starter squares and I place them at 9&3 I let it burn with bottom vent open and ld open till the flames are gone and embers are glowing, usually 15 mins or so. My fire generally burns pretty evenly once it is goin. I still have a hit spot in the back tho

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Mine grows on the left side
    Boom
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Options
    High Que and torch. Smooth as butter. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Well, there is a little bit to do with how you light it. But mostly that is normal, it is the air flow pattern I presume, and in the big green egg manual, it is known that the back center is the hottest part.  When cooking indirect, you should always make sure one of the plate setter legs is back there, if using the PS.

XLBGE 
  • YouEnjoyMyEgg
    Options
    Well good to know I'm not a completely incompetent fire starter!   :D    I imagine the torch and Mickey's method of lighting would help this situation a bit.  It also seems like fun!  I may need to get me one of those.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Similar to Mickey, I use a MAP torch on lump above a High-Cue grate.  No appreciable problems with hot spots.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • svendangle
    Options
    mickey,
    whats that metal ring thing inside your egg. Mine dosent have that.
    Is that something you get separately?
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    @svendangle it is an adjustable rig found at www.ceramicgrillstore.com check it out good stuff. I just picked one up too