Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken

Planing on doi'n a whole chicken tomorrow
Any Hints?

--------------------------------------------------------
South Dakota
KBØQBT
Large BGE, 
Mini BGE
36" Blackstone Griddle
Phoenix Gasser
Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited April 2013
    Spatchcock (cut out the backbone) 400 raised direct. If I have time like tonight I leave the bird uncovered in fridge (not a must). Very small amount EVOO and you rub or S&P. skin side up and never turn over. Takes about an hour but NEVER cook to time. Yor want 160 breast and 180 thigh. VERY light with the wood. Take light amount and cut in half. I use half cherry and half pecan chips (total amt less than a hand full). Now this is on a Mini.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I did one tonight. Spatchcock, raise grid, direct, 400 until breast is 160. No need to flip. Around one hour cook more or less depending on size. I brined mine in kosher salt, garlic, preserved myer lemons, onions, olive oil and pepper corns. MDSH even liked it, and he is not one who likes animals that cluck or gobble. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 with @Mickey and @GrannyX4. Spathcock it.
    This is on a Mini. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GrannyX4
    How do you do the @GrannyX4 ? I can't figure it out? I'm typing on an IPad. ;;)
  • Mickey
    I can't do it on my iPad. Just copy it and put the @ before it on the Mac.

• GrannyX4
    Thanks Mickey. OK, more confusion. It seems that it work after I pressed send. That's a first and I'm on the IPad.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I did it on an iPad. Just do @ and the name.
    edited April 2013
    That's how I do it on iPad. @Tjcoley. But on the Mac I copy the name and paste just after the @. Just can't copy the name on iPad.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Spatchcock it after brining it. After two years I recently found out how mu.ch better the spatchcocked chicken can be.