Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post Holiday Turkey deal = FUN!

Options
BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673

my local Costco was selling fresh turkeys after Easter.  The sticker price minus $25 for whatever size you chose.  I got two 20ish lb, birds for about $15 each.  I decided to bone them out and make turkey roasts for my new slicer.  Two birds got me two 5 lb breast roasts + 4 meaty thighs, and 4 drums for about 23 lbs of final weight plus carcass for stock

Here is the first breast roast done raised indirect on my AR rig at 350-375'F to 160 and pull to rest.  I refrigerated overnight and got to test drive my new slicer that I got for my birthday.  This one was seasoned with High Mountain Montana Steak Spice (really garlic flakes & pepper in seasoned salt).

imageimage

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Looks great to me, what kind of slicer is that?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    Look good, great deal on the birds too!
  • BigWader
    Options
    @Scottborasjr It is an Omcan/Nella 250E - It's a 10 inch model.  My wife got it for me for my birthday - from Nella Cutlery in Mississauga

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    Options

@mountaindewbass - basically I tied two breasts and tenders together in a roll and wrapped with skin.  That way when it cooked it was even throughout and formed a nice roll like that. 

I made the roll one day and refrigerated it until the next to cook.  In theory you could improve the "bind" of the meat by brining first.  In production facilities they would vacuum tumble breast meat to juice up the surface and extract proteins that really improve bind. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE