Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good @ Ace

2»

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    pswarren said:
    pswarren said:
    Ace is dropping WG for KJ. KJ comes from the same source as WG. Information from an ACE buyer. I bought the last bags of WG today from the WI warehouse. as of this morning there were only around 450 bags of WG left in Ace Warehouses across the nation. The KJ is in the system, but not yet stocked in the WI warehouse, not sure of others around the nation.

I would like to stand corrected. Wicke Good and KJ are not the same! I have recently recieved information I am beyond confindent is accurate. I do not have any further specifics to share at this time, but I am hoping others with first hand experince will also chime in with differences they have witnessed.

I, like many of you are not happy about the decission ACE has made to stock KJ over Wicked Good. We are looking forward to still offering Wicked Good's charcoal at our sotres, even if it is not quite as easy to get as it has been over the last 10 months.

And, no, this does not apply to the 50% rule mentioned, this comes from the other 50%.

Happy Egging!

@pswarren can you give us your sources? I have seen KJ lump advertised as WGWW at sites like here.

Across multiple message boards, I have seen a ton of post claiming that it is the same. I have seen 2(including yours) that state the opposite. Even reviews of KJ lump say something like "its just rebranded WGWW"
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    UPDATE:

I just called Kamado Joe @ (877) 215-6299

A very nice woman named Tina answered the phone.

It went like this:

Me: I have seen in many places that KJ brand lump is actually WGWW. There is controversy to this, so is it true?

Tina: KJ lump comes from the same facility that WGWW does in Argentina. It is the same mixture of woods.

Hopefully this settles this, since KJ themselves says it comes from the same place(facility, distributor, whatever) as WGWW does.

If you can't trust the horse's mouth, who can you trust?

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Again, many thanks to those who have posted here and made follow up efforts; in particular, thanks to Eggcelsior for calling KJ!  I also sent an email to Ace via their website and received the semi-generic response of we remove items from our website when out of stock (aside - interesting business practice versus still listing the item, but noting it's temporarily out of stock), but they failed to address whether they would continue carrying WGWW.  

My local Ace stores do not stock WG, and there are no WG retailers in Missouri, so Ace (either ship to store or having the store special order it) was a great option while it lasted. 
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Maybe my memory is failing but I thought I recently read on this forum that KJ charcoal was the same as Ozark Oak, now the story has changed. Does anyone know for sure ? It would seem Eggslior has some first hand knowledge via Kj Rep. I really like the WGWW but my local Chigger Creek Charcoal has been working well and is much cheaper.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Ljpick
    Ljpick Posts: 38
    edited April 2013
    I always got mine in NC at an outdoor store and last week went to get it and he was out. I asked he stated there is a supply issue as i believe they changed locations of mfg. and stated would be a month or so before it was back so he was ordering ozark until supply was back
  • Ljpick
    Ljpick Posts: 38
    I always got mine in NC at an outdoor store and last week went to get it and he was out. I asked he stated there is a supply issue as i believe they changed locations of mfg. and stated would be a month or so before it was back so he was ordering ozark until supply was back
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I wonder if KJ is the same quality as WGWW? I realize that Eggcelsior called KJ and the answer was that both charcoals are made at the same place with the same wood. What wasn't said( correct me if I am wrong) was whether it was the same grade or quality. I am just curious.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2013
    I think me see a panic attack coming on!!! :D:D   But seriously I have never used WG and wondering is that good? I have used BGE and pay $22 for a 20lb bag and also Royal Oak for near $7 on almost a 9lb bag, so I prolly shouldn't comment on what I don't know

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Ljpick said:

Where are you in NC? I want to try Ozark Oak but can't find it anywhere.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

This is very bad news. Really bad.

I use WGWW only.

:(

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Maybe my memory is failing but I thought I recently read on this forum that KJ charcoal was the same as Ozark Oak, now the story has changed. Does anyone know for sure ? It would seem Eggslior has some first hand knowledge via Kj Rep. I really like the WGWW but my local Chigger Creek Charcoal has been working well and is much cheaper.
    Ain't no way KJ and Ozark Oak are the same. At least the Ozark Oak that is produced on this earth.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    I just went and got the last 2 bags at my Rome, GA Ace HW. They initially said "sure, we can order more". They attempted and said "no more in warehouse, unsure if a permanent thing or not"...Glad I stocked up last fall-I have about 10 bags in the attic, plus these last 2 bags. I'm good for the summer I guess...It's my fav!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    As far as my local ACE this morning; getting more shouldn't be a problem... I took their last two bags. They get a pallet in every week
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Picked up 2 bags at ACE this morning as well.