Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some cook ideas for tomorrow

We have some family coming in from our of town tomorrow and my wife wants me to cook a great meal on the Egg.  Original plans were to do a brisket but I have changed my mind and will not do an overnight on the deck so I need ideas for what to cook.  My guess is I have a ~10 hour window to cook.  Putting meat on at 7:00 AM and planning to eat around 6:00.

I need ideas and quickly as I need to go get the meat today. 

Thought about ribs but they are my weakest cook and never come out right (I actually had better luck with Ribs on the gasser).

Doing a pork loin on Saturday night for the family as that is a quick cook.

Bring on the ideas.  Something GOOD.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    hams are cheap right now, tritips are easy and good and present well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited April 2013
    I desperately want a tri-tip but can not get them around here.  Even went to a few butchers and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Garnerville, NY
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Well, if you are wanting a long cook, then I would say pulled pork. You can knock it out in 10 hours easy. Then again you are cooking pork loin later. Second would be ribs. What do you not like about them? Those are always a winner. If not ribs, then I would say a whole mess of a variety of wings. My favorite right now is Ranch Wings--- hot sauce, butter, ranch, paprika simmered. Toss the wings in it after cooked and throw back on the egg for 15 minutes. Always a crowd pleaser. Chicken is a great showcase of the eggs abilities. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    robnybbq said:
    I desperately want a tri-tip but can not get them around here.  Even went to a few butchers and they looked at me like I had 3 heads.
    well as a substitute you could cook 3 inch boneless ribeyes using the santa maria recipe and slice them up the same way, nobodys going to hate that
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    yeah - Spatchcock chickens are good - just wanted something more.

Every time I cook ribs they come out either dry, and blah - they will basically fall off the bone but not moist and tasty.

Maybe I can try them again and leave the pizza guy on speed dial?

Garnerville, NY
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    robnybbq said:
    Maybe I can try them again and leave the pizza guy on speed dial?
    Why not cook a pizza on the Egg?  Pizza is something most people don't expect to be on cooked on a grill, so you could easily show-off the Egg and you could probably satisfy everyone by letting them choose their own toppings.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    How about a rib roast (aka prime rib)?  Lots of info out there on techniques.  I like this method from @NibbleMeThis

...here is another simple method:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    I say go with peppered stout beef, really easy to do, a little heat if you leave out the jalapenos, but really tasty.

Another option is a meatloaf.

• robnybbq
    Had prime rib last weekend - Came out very good. 

BTW - Cooking for 10 people.  Pizzas will take too long to cook for that many people - good idea for another time.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Ribs are on the mind again now - thanks. 

What is a No-Fail way of cooking them?

4-5 hours and let them fly at 250-275?  Start bone side down for an hour then flip over and cook for ~4 more hours basting with a mop sauce or spray every 1/2 hour?

or

3-2-1 method?

or ?

Garnerville, NY
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    robnybbq said:
    BTW - Cooking for 10 people.  Pizzas will take too long to cook for that many people - good idea for another time.
    Sorry, didn't realize you had that many people coming over.  Pizza is definitely out of the question, then, unless you have many BGE's lined up. :)

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Ribs are on the mind again now - thanks. 

What is a No-Fail way of cooking them?

4-5 hours and let them fly at 250-275?  Start bone side down for an hour then flip over and cook for ~4 more hours basting with a mop sauce or spray every 1/2 hour?

or

3-2-1 method?

or ?
    I keep it simple 250-275 np flip np mop sometimes spritz during the last hour about every 15 mins spares take 5-6 hr baby backs about 4
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

How about the pepper stout pulled beef that seems to be super popular.  I have done something very similar and it was very good.  My only complaint was the peppers and onions got over cooked.  But you could fix that by just adding them half way through your cook.

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    For ribs.  I do bone side down the whole time until there is good pull back at the ends of the bone and they pass the bend test.  Once they get close i put some sauce on.  I do suace in a few thing layers.  I like blue hog.  Make sure the back membrane is removed.  Sometimes it comes removed others it does not.
  • I've seen some mighty tasty lookin stuffed chicken breasts on here lately.  Wrap them in bacon and I don't see how you could go wrong. 

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• robnybbq
    I've seen some mighty tasty lookin stuffed chicken breasts on here lately.  Wrap them in bacon and I don't see how you could go wrong. 
    The only chicken I can cook is spatchcock.  I can not cook chicken breasts for the life of me.  They all come out like cardboard.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    robnybbq said:
    I've seen some mighty tasty lookin stuffed chicken breasts on here lately.  Wrap them in bacon and I don't see how you could go wrong. 
    The only chicken I can cook is spatchcock.  I can not cook chicken breasts for the life of me.  They all come out like cardboard.
    i cant cook chicken breasts from the supermarket too well but if you can find the whole breast at the meatmarket, it cooks just like a spatchcock bird, it really makes a difference
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    the whole breast and whatever works for you for a spatchcock setup

fukahwee maine

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Pork tenderloins or beef tenderloins. Pork being the cheaper of the two if that matters. Costco has some outstanding beef tenderloins but them bad boys are 85-100 a pop.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Plano_JJ said:
    Pork tenderloins or beef tenderloins. Pork being the cheaper of the two if that matters. Costco has some outstanding beef tenderloins but them bad boys are 85-100 a pop.
    +1 
    Beef tenderloin is considerably cheaper at Costco (9.99/lb trimmed, 8.99lb/untrimmed) than the typical grocery store. It is actually a really simple cook and is always a hit(it's beef tenderloin after all).

If you go pork loin, try butterflying and stuffing. Check out youtube for how-to videos on the butterfly technique( 1-inch deep cuts parallel to the board, 1 inch from the board,opening the loin with each cut like unfurling a paper towel roll or a flag.)

• robnybbq
    Hmm - For Saturday's cook of the pork lion - Too try a stuffed one or an un-stuffed one.  Hmmm.

Going to the depot in the morning to see what they got for tomorrows cook.

Garnerville, NY
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Stuffed
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If they are a 'pork chops and applesauce' group, stuff the loin with apples and raisins simmered in rum.  

If you have time, consider dessert as well.  Griffin's Pineapple Upside Down cake or Apple Pies Baked Inside an Apple are both impressive.
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Another suggestion comes to mind.  If you can find a rack of pork, it makes a great meal and is darn perty.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Here's a link to a great pork roulade recipe-change up the stuffing as you see fit-always a winner-

http://www.bubbatim.com/Pork_Cooks.php Good luck!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I would go with poultry- Spatchcock Chicken or even easier - turkey breast. Injected with strained Italian salad dressing. Two six pounders would be plenty.