Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clear high-temp silicone?

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
My small egg takes a while to cool down (longer than the large) and I feel that it burns through more lump. I want to try sealing up the gap between the intake and the base of the egg well with high-temp silicone. Ordered some Permatex high-temp silicone from Amazon, but its red, and i don't want the small egg to look all tarted up with red lipstick.

Any recommendations? Preferably something I can find at HD/Lowes, an auto parts store, or on Amazon Prime.
Thanks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I use a high temperature silicon gasket material with copper on my large green egg. Applied several years ago after scraping off my third and final gasket. I used acetone and a single edge razor blade to clean the gasket off. I applied the silicone in a medium bead to the bottom half and covered with plastic wrap, closed the lid. The silicone setup in a couple of hours and it's been working fine.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    Options
    @egger ave: Was it copper colored or clear? I want to seal the area around the ss intake at the bottom of the base, so want silicone that is clear and not too noticeable - similar to what was originally applied around the intake.

• egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    I don't think the copper is going to make a bit of difference, it's just what i had on hand. Now it's black, greasy and copper colored. 

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    i imagine that could be one of the hottest places on the egg, have you thought about calling the mothership and see what they use? 

XLBGE 
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    i imagine that could be one of the hottest places on the egg, have you thought about calling the mothership and see what they use? 
    i agree! your best bet is to use what they use,its clear and obviously works.. good luck, let us know what happens!
  • caliking
    Options
    Good grief... why didn't I think of that??? I'll give them a call and see what I can find out. 

I've touched the area near the intake with my hand, and it has actually been cooler than the area higher up on the base at the level where the charcoal sits. Have not measured with my IR thermo though. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Caliking, just go to pep boys and you will find the Pematex clear silicone RTV sealant/adhesive. We use it to seal leaks in the cowling of the airplane, and is very heat resistant. Even after years it will be pliable and soft. Good stuff.

RTV.jpg 19.2K

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    Options
    @Aviator : Thanks. I just found that on Amazon. It did not pop up when i was looking earlier since it is not labelled as high-temp silicone. That might be what I am looking for.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

The stock silicone sealer used on the BGE is not high temp.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    Options
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER : thanks for the info. The silicone posted above by Aviator should work fine then. Looks like it is rated to 500°F. I ordered it and will report back.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The lower air vent is actually not going to be terribly hot compared to higher locations.  You have cool air constantly passing through it among other reasons.  Get your Egg up to cooking temp and then carefully judge the temperature around the air vent and say the dome by touching it.  The exterior of the dome will never get up to 500 degrees, so the normal silicone will work fine.
    The Naked Whiz
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I did call the mothership last year when I bought the mini, and they said to use just plain ole clear silicone. I haven't experienced any problems. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    caliking said:
    My small egg takes a while to cool down (longer than the large) and I feel that it burns through more lump. I want to try sealing up the gap between the intake and the base of the egg well with high-temp silicone. Ordered some Permatex high-temp silicone from Amazon, but its red, and i don't want the small egg to look all tarted up with red lipstick.

Any recommendations? Preferably something I can find at HD/Lowes, an auto parts store, or on Amazon Prime.
    Thanks!
    I have noticed the same thing but I think it might be the ceramic cap on mine. It's very loose and i think it's allowing air in even with the cap on. But who knows!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• BakerMan
    BakerMan Posts: 159
    Options
    I used the copper Permatex to apply my Nomex gasket a year ago. Still going strong after plenty of 650 degree pizza cooks. The Nomex seals nicely.
    BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • caliking
    Options
    @RAC: the cap on mine seems to be a poor fit as well. I was going to try sealing it with a piece of foil after the next cook, and see what happens once I have the space around the intake sealed off better with the silicone. A better solution would probably be to line the inside of the cap with gasket material for a more snug fit. 

@BakerMan: Thanks. I'll keep that in mind when i have to change the gasket. Mine is already  a little crunchy after a few cooks.