Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT--- Masters--- Anyone Going--- OT

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
Title says it...
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I generally go on Thursday, the best day in my opinion. Not sure if I will make it this year. Anyone that has any interest in golf, or beautiful places, should make it a point to go at least once. It is a unique experience.

All the pimento cheese sandwiches you can eat and beer you can drink for about $15.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Cannot make it this year. Was there in 04 and 08. Pimento sandwiches are staple and a cold drink in the commemorative cups are a must. I enjoy Wednesday the most.
    Sunday is the most hallowed event for the knowledgable golf pureist.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• rbaldwin83
    Options
    If anyone has 2 tickets for sale for any day I would love to take my fiancee, she has never been.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Am I the only person finding this totally off topic. It would be so much better if such is to be posted it should be marked so bbq people like myself would not have to wade the thred of off topic discussion. Chubbs I would like you to read something "off topic" but will be "on topic" in 90 days:

How to Raise Your Baby Ducks and Geese

Ducklings and Goslings are fairly easy to raise, if you follow a few simple steps.

The most important thing that many people do not know is that ducks and geese should NEVER have medicated feed. The best thing to feed Ducklings and Goslings is a 21% “non medicated” starter feed. Grange Co-op offers Rogue Wild Game Bird (10RGBF-50RGBF). It is also a good idea to put a vitamin and electrolyte powder in the water to give them a good start. Ducks and Geese drink a good deal more water than chickens.

Ducklings and Goslings do not take heat well, so be sure not to overheat them. They like a temperature of 90-92 degrees for the first 3 days, then 85-90 degrees for days 4 to 7. Thereafter, drop the temperature by approximately 5 degrees per week until they are fully feathered. They must always be able to get away from the heat. Panting and drooping wings are a sign that they are too hot. Once they leave the brooder, it is a good idea to give them a heat lamp at night for the first week or so, unless the weather is very hot. Always make sure they have some shelter and a place to get out of the sun.

Ducklings and Goslings like their feed wet, and adding a little water to the feed (so it is somewhat soupy) helps to keep them from choking. They will also also appreciate fresh greens daily, and bugs and meal worms are a special treat. Sprinkle finely chopped greens in their water to keep them fresh and clean, as they will not eat dirty or wilted feed.

Be sure to always have clean, fresh water available. It should be deep enough to get their heads submerged, to clean out their nostrils and prevent them from getting a condition called “sticky eye”, but they should not be able to get their bodies into the water. Duck and Goose feathers are waterproof because they oil them, and young Ducklings and Goslings cannot produce oil until they are several weeks old. When their mother raises them, she will oil their feathers for them, so they can go into the water at an earlier age than when they are artificially brooded.

Ducklings and Goslings can have a chick waterer for the first week or two, and then they should have something deeper. Use a plastic bowl with 2″ chicken wire over the top, so they can get their heads in but can’t get into the bowl. The water will need to be changed often, as ducks and geese are dabblers and will get feed into their water constantly. Once they are fully feathered, they will appreciate some swimming water. Always make sure they can get out of the water, or they will drown. A ramp into and out of the swimming pool is a good idea, until they are large enough to get out on their own. Ducklings and Goslings make quite a mess when eating, and their droppings are prolific and wet. They must be kept clean and dry, so change bedding often. Pine shavings make good bedding for Ducklings and Goslings. You can also raise them on wire mesh.

Use the 21% starter feed for the first 6 weeks or so. Grange Co-op offers Rogue Wild Game Bird (10RGBF-50RGBF) or Rogue Organic Chick Starter (10OCS-40OCS). Then gradually change them over to a 17-18% ration. Grange Co-op offers Rogue All-In-One (10AIO, 25AIO-50AIO). Don’t feed layer pellets until they are ready to lay as the calcium content is too high for growing birds. Grange Co-op offers Rogue Egg Pellets (10ELP-25EP-50EP). Once they begin laying, layer pellets are fine, and they should have free access to oyster shell and and grit. Again, always make sure they have plenty of fresh, clean water.

Ducks, Geese
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I will be there all week- entertaining customers is hard work but someone has to do it.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've gone down for the Monday/Tuesday practice rounds a few times. Not going to get there this year.
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I will be there all week- entertaining customers is hard work but someone has to do it.

Stop by and see me. I work 15th leaderboard all week...

Matt

• Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs do they pay enough to hold you over all year? Or do you need a second job to get by?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Options

Haha. No monetary payment... just a round of golf every May, which holds me over all year!

• Mickey
    edited April 2013
    Options
    You golf people sound like EggHeads. Let's see: pay to go to fest to cook food you brought (sometimes on the Egg you brougnt), to giveaway to people and pay for hotel to stay in.......... Yep, about the same..... Can you have your Mini set up on the 15th leaderboard? Bet you would be the most popular leaderboard out there.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Chubbs said:

Haha. No monetary payment... just a round of golf every May, which holds me over all year!

Not bad @Chubbs. That's a $20K round of golf.

Nice HG avatar.

• Mickey
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Have a hard and fast rule: I only play in scrambles and I only take a dozen balls. When I lose that 12th ball (about the7th hole) I go to the clubhouse and drink. I am the guy who says: Where did my ball go (every time).....

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    If you go Thurs or Fri you get to see the entire field (before the cut) actually playing a round of golf. In my opinion, Sunday is 100% better on TV. 

@chubbs that is awesome you get to play it in May. I have only had 1 invite and wasn't able to make it. A round of golf there is on my bucket list. 

Most people don't realize that Augusta National's next door neighbor Augusta Country Club is one of the best Donald Ross courses in the country. I play there every chance I get. 

@mickey based on your description, I have played with you in at least 100 "hacker's choice" golf tournaments. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Chubbs
    Options
    Hi54putty , yep. ACC is a nice track. I play there often. Pretty fortunate. April and May are certainly good months for me
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I wish I could go. I am only 50 miles away, but will not be making it. Two thumbs up to the Augusta Country Club!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    Options
    Say hello to my old neighbor Bubba Watson.

Pensacola,FL
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Options
    I will be headed over on Thursday. 3rd year in a row. My wife's grandfather was a member and her uncle is now so I am lucky enough to get the invite.