Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Al's egged meatloaf

Wow this was amazing. I've done a lot of meatloafs and I think this was by far the best one yet. SWMBO agreed.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    OK, that is one good looking meatloaf. Tell us about it please.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2013
    @henapple wants that PBR. Loaf looks great
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Sweet! Egg and comfort food...doesn't get any better,
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    @Mickey ..... 1lb ground beef, 1lb ground pork, 1 cup Italian bread crumbs, 1 cup milk, 1egg, 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies drained, 1/4 cup BBQ sauce, 2 TBS dales marinade, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Combine all ingredients well and shape into a loaf. Give the loaf a good coating of your favorite rub (I used Dizzy's Red Eye Express). Then give a good coating of BBQ sauce (I use Carolina Sweet). Thin BBQ sauce works best. I put the loaf on a foil pan with holes made for grilling veggies. On the egg @ 350 dome indirect until IT of 160 is reached. The Rotel gives it a nice spicy kick. If you don't like spicy, go with the mild Rotel. We had southern green beans and mashed taters with it. My only regret is there were no leftovers for today.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• gtk10583
    gtk10583 Posts: 77
    A great pairing with the PBR!
  • shtgunal3
    Everything goes well wit PBR

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That looks great- thanks for the recipe!

Just curious- are you Al or is this a recipe you found and adapted for the egg? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    @smokeypitt I am Al. All my friends and family love this meatloaf and that is what they have been calling it for a long time.

• KCCO
    KCCO Posts: 7
    That looks really nice. Think I'm going to try it this weekend!! But I was just wondering; what was the cook time on the egg?
  • shtgunal3
    @KCCO cook time for a 2lb loaf @ 350 should be in the neighborhood of 1.5 hours but it could take longer. Be sure an cook to temp though. Let me know how it turns out.

• KCCO
    @shtgunal3 thanks!! I'll be sure to let you know how my attempt goes...
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Real nice job, I like the idea of the Rotel!
  • KCCO
    @shtgunal3 the egg'd meatloaf turned out awesome. Great flavor and the spice was nice with the rotel. Thanks again for the info!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks good!  Did you punch the holes in the foil pans or did you buy them that way? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• KCCO
    They come that way; veggie pans. Didn't know they made them that way until shtgunal3 mentioned it. Worked great for most of the grease to fall through.
  • shtgunal3
    @kcco Bravo! Glad you tried the recipe and glad you liked it. They look awesome! =D>

• OK.  I gave meatloaf a shot tonight using Al's  (shtgunal3 ) recipe as a start.  Doctored it a little bit.  Added some onion and instead of garlic powder used 2 cloves of garlic.  Sub tomato sauce for the bbq sauce in the mix (but used it on outside of loaf).  For rub used Mrs Dash Mesquite.  Also cut out the Dales marinade.  Darn low sodium diet.  It turned out great.  Loved the Barbecue flavor. Did forget to put some apple wood in, so next time will be even better.  Cooked it indirect, place setter with feet up and a pan to catch the grease.  Set egg at 350 and took about 90 mins.  Thanks Al for the start and would recommend your recipe anytime.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Looks very edible, nice job!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shtgunal3
    Looks like you done a damn fine job Jim!