Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kansas City spots.

Options
Just returned from visiting the in-laws.  BBQ joints Jack Stax, Oklahoma Joe's and Arthur Bryant's are can't miss.  Free State Brewery in Lawrence for a pint and to fill some Growlers with some sweet liquid was solid.  Saw an awning on the main drag in Lawrence that read Peace, Love and Hot Wings. Will hit that joint next trip.

Only downfall of the weekend was watching KU absolutely implode vs. Michigan.  Felt bad for insane and devastated KU fans (brother-in-law and 11 year old nephew (tears).)

Also, if you have younger kids, Kaleidescope in downtown is free and great, as is Legoland.  Having a wife that lets you walk 1/2 mile across town to hit Jack Stax for lunch is a plus as well.

Comments

• alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed your visit.  KC is a great and underrated city in my opinion.
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Options

I empathize with you on all counts, both bbq and basketball (tears) related. If you get to KC often, there are a ton (obviously) of places to try, but I would recommend that at some point you dive off and really try "off the beaten paths" places. Not always the nicest looking, but they serve up some of the best food.

(As far as basketball, MU is also off the beaten path - or rather, firmly ON the beaten path - but does not serve up anything worth mentioning.)

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    The awning you saw on Mass was Jefferson's. It was one of my goto places when I was going to school there. I also spent many nights at Free State, although on Mondays that whole block smelled like pachouli. They make some great food using their beer. It has been a few years since I've been back in Lawrence but those were some good places. 

I didn't even know what burnt ends were until my first trip to Jack Stack's. I do now though! 
    =P~
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

Oklahoma Joe's is among the best BBQ I've ever had.  When my wife saw that it was in a gas station it was almost a deal-breaker for her.  The line out the door was all I needed.  I think I remember seeing a magazine article in the doorway that Anthony Bourdain wrote listing his top 5 favorite places to eat in the world, and it included Oklahoma Joe's. I don't care much for him personally, but I trust his palate. 

My experience at Rosedale BBQ wasn't as good.  The best thing we had there was the fried mushrooms. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    We liked Jack Stax....My wife LOVED their beans....We were there for 2 days and wanted to try Oklahoma Joe's but never made it out that way.   My next stop is Memphis at some point
    Large BGE