Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John’s Chorizo makes about 2-1/2 lbs of Sausage

Options
egger ave
egger ave Posts: 721

John’s Chorizo makes about 2-1/2 lbs of Sausage

Ingredients:

2 dried Ancho or New Mexico Red Chiles

1 lb of 75/25 ground beef, extra lean meat doesn’t make good sausage IMHO.

1 lb of ground pork

6 oz of Salt Pork

8-10 cloves of garlic, peeled

1-1/2 TSP of Salt

1 TSP of ground black pepper

½ TSP of Cumin

½ TSP of Oregano, I use fresh but dried will work

3 TBS of Ancho Chile Powder

1 cup of water

2 TBS of Apple Cider Vinegar

Making the sausage

Cut the stem off the peppers. In a small sauce pan, boil one cup of water and the peppers for about 5 mins until the peppers are soft. Turn the heat off and let the peppers and water cool for 10 mins.

Add the garlic cloves, spices, the peppers, salt pork and ¼ cup of water into your food processor. Blend until the ingredients become a paste.

Place the meat, salt, pepper, vinegar, the remaining water from cooking the chile’s and the paste in a large bowl and blend by hand.  

Will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days. In the freezer about 10 days.

1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Man that looks good. Will you be cooking it in Austin?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    This one is bookmarked. Been wanting a ground chorizo recipe. Thanks for posting
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • egger ave
    Options
    yes, will be cooking Chorizo at the Austin Eggfest, probably on skewers for samples.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • egger ave
    Options
    The Chorizo will keep much longer in the freezer, never had it last more than a couple of weeks to test how long though.

Albert Einstein
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    egger ave said:
    The Chorizo will keep much longer in the freezer, never had it last more than a couple of weeks to test how long though.
    If you shrink wrap it, I'd bet it would be good as new after a year.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• egger ave
    Options
    egger ave said:
    If you shrink wrap it, I'd bet it would be good as new after a year.
    will have to try that, thanks for the suggestion.

Albert Einstein
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds like a killer recipe. I need to try that one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Please excuse my ignorance, but was is "Salt Pork"??
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • egger ave
    Options
    Salt Pork is made from same part of the hog as bacon. It's saltier and not cured. You can buy 1 lb cryovaced packages at a lot of grocery stores.

Albert Einstein