Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

table fire

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
logfinish.com.... with the near miss Cen-Tex had it popped into my memory a product I've used on some of my jobs. it's a clear fire preventive sealer that can be finished over. I didn't use this product and I'm sure Google will find many brands. there are lots of wooden tables being built and beside the hazard to your home there's always the risk of ruining your expensive table and hard work.

thought I'd share...
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Good idea but that is just one of the reasons I like the nest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I used ipe hardwood... it has a fire rating of concrete. slate tile top
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I too am a nest user, but if I had a table it would have a stainless steel top with stainless steel turned down edges. This solves many problems dealing will health issues, fire protection and ease of cleaning. Slightly pricy, but a one time investment...
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My top is made out of concrete. I'm feeling much better about my investment in the concrete top after Centex's experience.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Sorry I missed the centex issue but it apparently involved fire. Here is a story I recently heard. A friend has a lake home in Jamestown KY overlooking beautiful Lake Cumberland. A couple weeks ago he prepared a grilled meal for guests. Later that evening a severe windstorm blew his egg over...long story- short, his house burned to the ground. Seems impossible but it happened. Coals ignited wood deck and spread. My eggs are in tables, can't imagine them blowing over. I will provide more detail when I get it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

@burr_baby33-here's the link to C-T's good fortune (in the end) with a fire disaster looming.

Holy cow. Feeling very lucky today 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.