Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best way to freeze a Boston Butt after it has been cooked?

What do you guys think?  What is the best way to freeze a cooked butt?
XL owner in Wichita, KS

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have frozen "PULLED" pork in plastic bags before and defrosted and re-heated in boiling water then open the bags and served --  couldn't tell that it wasn't right off the grill..
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Only 6 months into Egging, but when I cook an extra butt we pull it, and put 6 oz servings into ziplocs and then put them all into a 1 gal Ziploc and freeze. 1 bag makes a good sandwich and we can grab multiple when making pulled pork nachos or pizza. A little apple juice and /or apple cider vinegar when reheated works great. Hope that helps.
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

In the freezer...........................LOL......JK.

I put a portion into a sandwich bag and just that inthe fridge and reheat in simmering water.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Food saver it into portions for sandwiches, tacos, etc. Pull out portion you want and sit in boiling water.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Thanks guys.  I will have to try one of these suggestions.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    I pull it.
    Measure into 1 pound portions (Four 3 oz sandwiches for the four of us)
    Vacuum seal it.

When we want to eat it, simply drop a bag in the sous vide at about 135 degrees. Whenever we are ready to eat....pull bag out and heat to desired temp in microwave.

I do not add bbq sauce to the bags before I seal and freeze them. I may want to use the pulled pork for something other then sandwiches and I want to be able to add the flavor I want at the time I use it. Nachos, pizza, flatbread, whatever.
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    These babies are sitting at 180 right now...can't wait to dig into them for dinner:

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Nice pic and thanks for the suggestion.  I need to get a vacuum sealer for for cooks.  I will have to shop around and see what I can come up with.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Fbialas
    Fbialas Posts: 6
    Not a year old yet. What happened to my egg? Green ceramic chipping off! I'm stunned. Will performance be affected? I've never seen any pics of eggs doing this before. imageimage
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    that looks defective to me.  Call the mothership up.