Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Seasoning/Cooking on Short Notice

Options
BGE1983
BGE1983 Posts: 12
I have a 7.5lb butt I'm wanting to try for the first time on my egg.. I've cooked just about everything else but a butt... Looking for ideas on what I need to season with and cooking times/temps... I just got a Digi Q 2 in yesterday and wanting to try it out... Any advise please let me know going to be firing it up in 2-3 hrs to get started... Thanks for all the help in advance...

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    There are bout as many ways to cook a but as there are days in the week. LOL Some people prefer low & slow with temp of 250 or so. Then you have Turbo where you cook slow till the meet hits bout 160 wrap it in a few layers if foil put back on egg and raise the temp to about 350 until you hit 197 or so and your thermometer slides in and out like butter. Then you got nitro, no foil and no slow, just cook at about 325 - 350 until it will pull. Today I tried a combo of turbo and nitro. I did 250 till 120(where all the smoke is absorbed that is goin to) and then bumped it to 350 with no foil Outcome was awesome and it took right at 7 hrs to do a 9lb butt.
    As for your rub I usually coat in sriracha sauce then yellow mustard followed by a good coating of Byron's Butt Rub.
    Experiment cause you can't hardly mess up a butt just as long as you enjoy it.

Happy Eggin!!!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.