Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very First Cook in Progress

The very first cook is underway. Lets start with the good news...BBQ Guru Digiq DX 2has arrived!! On to the bad news...It arrived at 6:30pm, so I had to run to the store, get the pork loin, run back, and get this thing underway and....there is a large thunderstorm brewing. Go big or go home right?? Here is where we are so far...
Persistence and determination are omnipotent!

Comments

• The only real hiccup so far is that it is taking the Digiq forever to get the egg back up to temp. It is staying at about 285. The egg thermometer however is showing a temp of 400.
  • Ok...I think I fixed the problem..I opened the daisy wheel just a little bit which with the help of my surefire light, I was able to glean just a tiny peek of what was going on inside, and the temp is now at 300 on the Digiq.  Food temp is 80.  I plan on pulling it at 160.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Are you doing a direct or indirect?  You don't want to use the digiQ for a direct...make sure the grill probe is protected from the direct heat.  When you get a chance, check the dome thermo with some boiling water.  I'd trust the digiQ before I trust a stock dome thermometer.

Pork loin - you want to cook that to about 135 - 145 internal, depending on how you like it done.  You can do them direct or indirect, often people do them indirect then sear.
  • @nolagghead, I am doing indirect with platesetter legs up.  Loin is directly on the grate.  I checked the dome thermo when I assembled the egg.  I boiled water and put the thermo in and it was spot on.  I am with you though...from what I have read I am trusting the digiq.  
  • nolaegghead
    Cool, sounds like you're on the right track.   Keep us updated :D
  • So now I am torn on what to do...I am following the directions on what @shtgunal3 did for his loin.  He just says that he grilled indirect at 300 until the internal temp was 160...Should I pull it at 160, or 145.  I usually like meats medium well.
  • nolaegghead
    If you like MW, pull at 155-160....remember, it's gonna rise up 5-7F after you pull it off. 
    A+ for enthusiasm and jumping right in.  Don't get too bummed if it takes a few tries to start to dial things in.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I am with Nola on 135-140. Once you pull there you will never even think about 160.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    i pull around 150 and it rides up while resting.. personal preference and trail and error!

XLBGE 
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    I remember my first cook on the egg.  It was the best dried out  almost burnt chicken I've ever had.  I pull at 140-145
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I pull mine at 140. So tender and juicy you can cut it with a fork. 

I agree with Doc concerning jumping right on in the deep water!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I agree with Doc Eggerton. It is trial and error. I did my first low/slow last week. I also have a DigiQ and learned several things. I failed to use the damper on the DigiQ and had trouble controlling my temp. The fire was pulling the air through the DigiQ and let the temp rise. This in turn burned the charcoal in the center to the grate(known as center burn). My fire started dying and meat temp started dropping. I had to remove everything and stir the remaining charcoal to get the fire back up. We learn thru trying. Good luck.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Slow down....you'll have this figured out too soon :!!
  • jjmills
    One thing to consider is learning your egg first then getting dialed in with the digiq.  I borrowed a stoker once and feel better with nothing.  I hope you cook turns out well.  Also having a few good beers while cooking helps the outcome:)
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Relax and enjoy the ride!  You'll soon see that the Egg makes it very easy to create incredible tasting food.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jjmills
    Nice!

Address please, I will bring the wine
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Hope it tastes as good as it smells, I would have pulled at 140-145 but hey you learn with every cook what you actually like. Looks good!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Looks good dude! How did it taste?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    It looks delicious!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks good. Nice first cook.
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Pork and Mac and Cheese.... Gosh that sounds great.  Fantastic first cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    Nice job, looks like you got a little smoke ring going on....
    Looks good. Now you need a slicer for the leftovers to make sandwiches.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Thank you everyone!!  I am a true believer now, and as you all know obviously the egg does match the hype!  As far as the smoke ring...I put 2 pieces of peach wood chunks in the egg.  Is the smoke ring a presentation thing, or a taste thing?  Thank you again for being patient with all of my questions so far.  What an awesome forum!
  • How long does it take for the egg to cool down?  It has been about 40 minutes with the bottom vent shut ALL the way, and the dome topper on. The Egg Temp gauge is showing 220.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Depends on how long and how hot it was.  There's a lot of ceramic mass holding in the heat.