Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling utensils

I do not think I have ever washed my grilling tools. I think it adds something to the meat!

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Ha. I don't wash as often as I should. But I use egg 4-7 times a week. Probably wash 1-2/week depending on cook. Doesn't bother me, but nothing bothers my stomach.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you don't, sterilize them for a bit over the fire.  We run the dishwasher once a day, I just throw all that stuff in there.  Damn the wood handles.
    Sorry but they get cleaned on every cook here!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I married a chef by trade. When she was in culinary school I did a lot of reading with her. If you're informed you might change your tune.

We have separate cutting boards for EVERYTHING. And I'm anal about washing my hands and knives when changing proteins.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Yeweewww!!!!

I have several pairs of tongs and stuff, goes into the dishwasher soon after the cook. Have silicon mitts that get washed as well.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• FanOfFanboys
    tamu2009 said:

I married a chef by trade. When she was in culinary school I did a lot of reading with her. If you're informed you might change your tune.

We have separate cutting boards for EVERYTHING. And I'm anal about washing my hands and knives when changing proteins.

I dunno. 'Informed' is reading a book. While I certainly believe can get sick my family is from country and have been on same lot of land since mid-1800s. Most food came from what they raised and grew. I lived in house my father was born in. No one ever got sick. Most our modern food illness comes from how our food is treated before got to us, not nature of food itself (eating carnivores diff). Most what I get comes from environment my great grandparents got their food from. I minimize food plant processed.
    I lived in Philippines for 5 years. Ate from street vendors entire time. Never sick. Our problem isn't nature of food but how we process it.
    Boom
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    What are you guys saying?? You don't want me to cook for you?? :D
  • FanOfFanboys
    Not saying isn't a good habit. But we live in a bit of a germaphobe society. If start clean from beginning risk are very low. To each their own.
    Boom
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    Well said Nola! I have been fortunate enough to be able to buy my food from local people that I know
  • Sorry about hijacking your thread a little @tybish .  This has nothing to do with you, but some things here reminded me about restaurant sanitation.  I met a guy a few years back (professionally, not socially) that owned an italian restaurant.  He had the worst case of B.O. I have ever encountered.  That's saying something because I used to work at a place where we nicknamed the boss "Stinky" for obvious reasons.  Anyway, I politely turned down the restaurant owner's offer of a cup of coffee due to my suspicions regarding his sanitation skills.

Here's a picture of my old boss going to a meeting with one of the secretaries.

Flint, Michigan
  • FanOfFanboys
    Fred, ha! Maybe he just didn't like deodorant???
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I hope he didn't cook with his armpits!  (blechk-hurl!) 

In some cultures, body odor is a sign of masculinity. 
    I don't take coffee from stinky people either!!
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I worked with a professional boxer years ago that had a major problem with BO -- but it was a medical issue, had nothing to do with cleanliness!!   
  • I worked with a professional boxer years ago that had a major problem with BO -- but it was a medical issue, had nothing to do with cleanliness!!   
    Sadly, this is not the case here for either of these guys.  Someone brought up the cultural issue.  I also worked for a fella from India who was also fragrant.  Every couple of years he would go back for 6 weeks and it took months for him to become tolerable again.  In case you're wondering, my current boss wears purfume and usually smells quite nice.
    Flint, Michigan