Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE at Sam's

Options

Comments

• okienine
    okienine Posts: 43
    Options
    That was my question, and was told "they do not know where they got there stock from".
    McAlester, Ok. Large and Mini Egg
  • 3andsomedust
    Options
    If my sam's stocked them and I saved $1, I'd purchase an additional egg....just my opinion. I sell warranties in my business and they are pure profit....even if BGE doesn't honor the warranty...it's well worth the risk...again just my opinion. My dealer isn't worth a damn and offers poor service. If it saves money - buy it!
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Options
    okienine said:
    That was my question, and was told "they do not know where they got there stock from".
    That's the part I would have a hard time believing.  It's too much stock to not know where it's coming from.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited March 2013
    Options
    NM
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't know how Sam's works but I'm sure it's close to Costco. The stuff they get is straight from manufacturers. If the manufacturer is saying otherwise, they are blowing more smoke than the egg can. It's them or their distributors and at the end of the day, it's all about the Benjamins. They are still getting a profit, either way.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited March 2013
    Options
    NM-
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Hmmm.... Perhaps Bentonville is more unscrupulous than I thought. I know buyers at Costco and how that works. No wonder the do double the business of Sam's with half the stores.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    In the interest of self preservation, I'll respectfully remove my comments :) We do a ton of business there
  • Eggcelsior
    Options

In the interest of self preservation, I'll respectfully remove my comments :)

We do a ton of business there

No worries. It would be interesting to actually know how this stuff happens.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options

Sam's Club Returns:

Returns and Refunds

Sam's Club Return / Refund Policy

The SamsClub.com Refund Policy reflects a 100% guarantee on merchandise and Membership. Refunds on merchandise and Memberships are available if, for any reason, Members are not satisfied.

Online Merchandise Return Options:

• Return merchandise with all accessories and packing list to any Sam's Club location.
    • To request a merchandise return through SamsClub.com, login and go to "My Account" then "Order History".
    • Initiate merchandise return by contacting Member Service at 888.746.7726 and following prompts for "SamsClub.com" and "returns". Please also have your order number available for reference.

Refunds for merchandise returned to SamsClub.com will be issued promptly upon receipt of the merchandise. This process can take up to three weeks, due to return shipping and processing time.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Same thing happened last year at Costco and there was a major stink thrown in the forum.

If I already had a large is consider buying a second from Sam's.
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Maybe thats why Costco has a large display of Komodo(equal to the large) units for $689.00 ???  Not a bad looking unit and it has the factory warranty listed on the "included equipment"...
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    JMSetzler said:
    Sam's has to be buying these grills in quantity from someone larger than a standard authorized BGE dealer...

Exactly.......And BGE's beef should be with them; NOT the consumer.  Someone "authorized" bought those Eggs from BGE, then violated their licensing agreement by selling them to a wholesaler / UNauthorized dealer.

It all comes down to money.  BGE wants its dealers to make money.  They enforce their minimum advertised price to maintain the brand's perceived value.  If Sam's is out selling these things for $100-200 less than the authorized dealers, dealers lose business and the brand value decreases.

This is why the jewelry and clothing manufacturers sued Costco years ago.  Why would people may $80 for a pair of designer jeans at a Macy's when they could buy the exact same ones at Costco for half that.  The gross profit margins were out for public view and the sales dropped in the dept stores quick.

Costco usually only marks things up by a few percentage points--those products bring people into the stores.  The membership fee makes the profits, and that few percent adds up quick when people buy all their groceries, housewares, clothing, electronics, gasoline, etc ALL at Costco (in bulk).  Brilliant.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Costco's markup is capped at 14% over cost on all products unless required by law to set prices (gas, tobacco, alcohol). That basically pays salaries, insurance, and the electric bill. Profits all come from membership dues. Plus, they don't advertise.
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    JMSetzler said:
    Does Big Green Egg (the company) have any sort of official response to this?  Do they acknowledge that their product is being sold at Sam's Club and do they acknowledge that they will not handle warranty claims made on those items?  I have searched the net over for information on this and there is nothing to be found in any official capacity.  All I can read about is forum posts such as these on this issue and I can't tell whether or not it's fact or heresay.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/support/warranty/
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • JMSetzler
    Options
    I certainly understand the warranty and what it says.  I think it's simply unfortunate for the consumer.  If I walk into a Sam's Club and buy a Big Green Egg on a whim because I think it's a badass grill, I'll get home, put it together, and try to register it just to find out that I have no warranty because I didn't buy it from an authorized dealer.  I realize that Sam's Club has their warranties and satisfaction guarantees but as a consumer, I'd be expecting the manufacturer to support my purchase on something like that. 

Big Green Egg needs to do one or more of a few things here...

1 - Honor their warranty to someone who buys from Sam's Club.

2 - Get the product out of Sam's Club if they don't plan to honor the warranty.

3 - Keep authorized dealers/distributors from dumping product to companies like Sam's Club.

If there are enough authorized dealers dumping product to Sam's Club to get rid of inventory they can't sell, maybe BGE should buy that product back from them rather than sticking them with it and forcing them to unload into a gray market. 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Parallel said:
    My dealers price was pretty close to that with the nest (I didn't want the nest). The whole reason I went with the BGE over a Kamodo Joe, Bayou Classic or similar Ceramic cooker was the Big Green Egg warranty.

Kamado Joe has the same warranty as the BGE.  Lifetime on the shell, 5 years on the metal, 3 on the plate setter, and 1 on everything else.

Not sure how the service is, but like Egg, it comes down to the dealer.  There are some dealers that will not do anything in regard to the warranty unless you bought it from them.  My dealer went out of business, so I always just call down to the company store when I need a new firebox or plate setter.  I just pay for shipping and it shows up 3-4 days later.  Much easier than going through the other dealers.

I have used the warranty two or three times over the 16 years I've owned an egg.  I never went through my dealer.  Just email pics to BGE and they take care of it.   Good dealer or bad dealer won't have any effect on the Mothership's warranty service, which is excellent.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    Like any manufacturer,they probably have buyer's discounts -- meaning the more you buy, the cheaper they can sell them to you.  Now from what i have been told Walmart/Sam's Club do not have "set" buyer's prices for a contracted period of time.  Meaning their prices can change with any new delivery, and their retail price will be adjusted accordingly.  Costco buys their products with a contract time period, meaning the manufacturer must continue to sell them the product for a "set" price, but for a contracted period of time.  Included with the "buyer's discount" price is an additional savings option to purchase without warrenty.  These big box stores are trying to sell the BGE's at the lowest price.  You the consumer have an option too, not much different than when they ask you if you want "the extended Warrenty" at the register when you are paying for an appliance.  Buy from the local dealer or buy from the big box store.  And i don't make a habit of taking things back, but i have NEVER had a problem at either Sam's or Costco.  The worst thin to happen is to get your money back -- and you are back to square one --  and free to take your money to the dealer !! ;)
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Options
    I was in a local SAMs today and saw they had the large egg set up. It was a large with egg mates a nest and daisy wheel. No plate setter. All for a low price of 899. If I remember correctly when I bought my xl a large with a nest and setter was 899 "with a lifetime warranty". So I think if I were in the market for another egg I would have to go with the local dealer. Also I snapped a few pics of the egg put together. A little scary, they put step by step directions in there for a reason. When I opened the lid I did not let it go as I was scared it would fall off. See the pics
  • JMSetzler
    Options
    I sent email to BGE asking some questions about this and have yet to receive a response.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Good work. keep us informed, plz. 
    Options

Well where I live I only have 1 dealer and they are idiots. They have poor stock, not knowledgable at all.

I ran across the border adn bought one in ND and saved, yes saved, $800.

I got LBGE, nest, ash tool, platesetter, egg mates, bag o lump, BGE cover, grill gripper, 2 fire starters, for $1100.

Like I said, seems pricey to you but to me to save $800 was a steal. Ususally we have to be cautious of the warranty crossing the borders but not with BGE.

I unfortunately have to order my accessories into the dealer in the US, if I want anything ( havent yet) and make a weekend out of it.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited March 2013
    Options
    Ibid to what C-T said about BBQ outfitters. Great knowledgable staff, fun place to BS about q and really great service.
    If you are in the temple/Waco area Russ and staff at Ace hardware are another good group.
    Before you pull the trigger at SAMs see if there is a fest near you. Price at fest may equal SAMs and you get a full lifetime warranty. I think the price on the larges at Salado included the platesetter
    ...Mickey jump in
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Ibid to what C-T said about BBQ outfitters. Great knowledgable staff, fun place to BS about q and really great service.
    Nice place they have in Austin, but predictably expensive. Glad I called around.
    Gittin' there...
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the timing seems awful suspicious to me, seems the last time a box store was selling them it was early spring a month or two before the bbq season takes off. last time it was said a rogue distributor acquired 10,000 plus eggs and sold them in 2 continents
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    The Canadian distributors told me that they have to order in December based on their forcast for the following year. Figure the dealer discount is 25 - 30% and if it's true that Sams and Costco only mark up in the neighbourhood of 15, the distributor would sell a whole lot of eggs at ten to twenty points over their normal sell price. Not a bad job if you can get it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JMSetzler
    Options
    48 hours later and no response from BGE. 
  • JMSetzler
    Options
    72 hours later and no response from BGE.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I think they are hoping you go away??  This must really pi$$ off the dealers, but they get to sell the Sam's customers accessories!!!
  • Browninggold
    Options
    I did a search for my local Sams club in Michigan for Big Green Egg/BGE and nothing comes up. The Steel Keg does though. Maybe just in certain parts of the U S of A?