Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need idiot's guide on making a raised grid

2»

Comments

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Here is what I use. Buddy cut a 15 inch circle from expanded metal then cut a smaller cylinder about 4 inches high and welded them together. I place it on the Egg rack which sits on the fire ring. I burned the fool out of it to "season" it. Been using it three years. Told him he should make them commercially! It works great
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    from my pre-AR days:

cooling grid from a restaurant supply place, they are sold online too, the legs are foldable and detachable for easy storing and cleaning.

my nut/bolt setup ... carriage bolt head rests on another grid or fire ring ... underside washer notched to allow bolt to get closer to the rim...
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I am doing it just like @Canugghead. My cooling rack doesn't get used as much after I made the carriage bolt grid.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    image I use (3) 4" X 4" stones. This pic shows the SS rack on top but 99% of the time it is on the bottom with the CI grid up top for "raised direct".
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Buy a grid from academy for $10 then drink 3 beers and use the empty cans to raise the grid.
    i've been egging for nearly a year and still do this.  even though i have a grid extender, and one with stainless bolts i do this to raise my cast iron because i like to use it.  and i like to drink beer everybody wins.
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    I went to Home Depot and bought 3 red brick splits (45 cents each.) I wrapped them in foil (not sure why but someone here said to) and perched them on the fire ring with the BGE grid on top. I did a half chicken... about 375 degrees for an hour... incredible. 

I looked for stainless steel carriage bolts but all I could find were zink. Would those poison us if used? The bricks worked great... but am curious about zink or galvanized bolts and washers if used in an Egg.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You'll be ok with zinc.  They aren't directly in contact with the fire or food.
    Let me amend that and warn you not to heat above 750 F with galvanized bolts/nuts.   Doubtful you'll do that on purpose, but that's right about the melting point.  

Buy a grid from academy for $10 then drink 3 beers and use the empty cans to raise the grid.

Travis's Famous Last Words "Hold my beer and watch this S..t!"

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.